Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outside Antenna Connection

rburke
Explorer
Explorer
Hello

I am a first time travel trailer owner, bought a 2013 Skyline Nomad and working to figure it all out and making progress. Any advice on how to get the outside coax connections to connect to the Jack Antenna? Seems the TV needs to be plugged into the powered coax connector inside, the outside TV mount only has one connector, is there any way to get that connector inline with the jack antenna? Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thank you!
4 REPLIES 4

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
It would be unusual for 1 coax connection to be marked as satellite/cable as the connections are generally not interchangeable since the cable connection "should" be running to the wall plate with the switch/light and works as an A/B switch for selecting either Cable or OTA. The outside cable connection should be in or near your wet bay while the outside connection for a TV you will be watching should be on the passenger side usually inside a storage bay.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

rburke
Explorer
Explorer
Ok so as long as that green light is on and the jack antenna is powered up any of the coax jacks will be on that line? The thing that confused me is the wall outlet by the main cabin TV has one jack for antenna and one for satellite/cable. On the inside its easy, I went from the powered coax connection to the TV and it all worked great. I would think there would be two jacks outside as well. I will give it a try, thanks!

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assuming you are trying to get a TV working in one of your outside bays, you only need the 1 coax cable to make it work. The power to the antenna is provided by a wall switch inside the coach. If your inside TV is working properly, find that wall plate. There will be a small (tiny) button or slide switch and a light. When the light is on you will be able to use your TV to view OTA programming. If the light is off then you will not get OTA but you will be able to use the campground cable connection.
Now, if it works inside but not outside I would guess that you have a loose or disconnected splitter that sends the OTA signal to multiple locations. Start by removing the wall plate. The back is labeled with what each coax does. The TV2 connection should go to a splitter so the signal from the antenna can go to the TV(s).
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is a simplied drawing of my antenna box wall plate. The OUTSIDE connected is for hooking to the an antenna signal coming from the site TV antenna source...

I usually use a short RG cable and a signal splitter here so that the camp ground TV cable can be routed to the ANT INPUT connector on the RV and also to a long RG Cable that I throw under the RV so I can connect up an outside TV SET on the picnic table.

You will have to do something similar to this on the inside where the RV Antenna is connected to the TV ANTENNA BOX connector. When adding a splitter be sure it is the that will pass the 12VDC that goes up the coaxial to power up your TV Power AMplifier that is located in the antenna. If the the splitter you get does not also pass 12VDC going up the RG Cable to the outside antenna the Power AMplifier will not work.. I guess all of this makes sense to you...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS