cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

One more battery question

Katdaddy
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is the best way that you have found to discharge your camper batteries when the camper is sitting at home to cycle the batteries?
Little by little, one travels far - J.R.R. Tolkien
There ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them. - Mark Twain
11 REPLIES 11

Katdaddy
Explorer II
Explorer II
BFL13 wrote:
Some batteries do like a deep cycle once in a while.

I usually turn on all the lights and fans which gets me about a 25 amp draw and leave it till the batts are at 50%. (Trimetric.) Then recharge.

This is pretty much the way I've been doing it. I just thought I would check and see if anyone had a better idea.

Thanks for your help.
There ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them. - Mark Twain

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
I just turn the lights on outside and leave them on for a few hours. Although I do not deliberately cycle my batteries, either.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Solar does well for me. I do not cycle my batteries unnecessarily.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Katdaddy wrote:
What is the best way that you have found to discharge your camper batteries when the camper is sitting at home to cycle the batteries?

You discharge batteries while camping, not while in storage, unless you like buying new batteries that many cycles sooner.
If you got advice here to discharge in storage, nothing new,....there is bad advice given here all the time.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why? In storage, no loads, a wet cell will self discharge at about 10% per month. A vehicle in storage, battery bank connected, will discharge faster because of the parasite draws as small as the clock always on. Those little things add up.

If you feel that you must discharge get yourself something useful to do the job. Buy a battery load tester. All it is is a heating coil that puts a big load on the battery. Now you also have something to easily check the health of your battery bank yourself.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I gather you are confusing Lead Acid with NI-Cad which under extroadranary conditions can exibit "Memory" effect.. In real life (Human use) even that does not happen.. It can in space (Satellite use) but takes hunreds of orbits to happen.

Full discharge of Lead acid batteried is NOT recommended.. IN fact
MARINE/deep cycle should be kept 75% full or fuller
DEEP CYCLE (GC-2 or GC-12) 50% or higher at all times and re-carge promptly when "Down".

However if you must kill your batteries.

Most AUTO stores have a 12 volt "Drop light" or "Trouble light" and that's what I'd suggest.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Explorer II
Explorer II
I use the Capacity/10 (C/10) rule for both charging and controlled discharging. Meaning if your battery has 100Ah capacity, discharge and charge at 10A. If they are 225Ah, do it at 22.5A. I'll run them down to 12.3V resting voltage. Once it's fully charged, measure the SG and equalize charge as needed.

My batteries are 100Ah so I discharge with a msw inverter and a 100W lamp and charge with either an HP or MegaWatt power supply. The HP has constant current mode so I prefer it
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some batteries do like a deep cycle once in a while.

I usually turn on all the lights and fans which gets me about a 25 amp draw and leave it till the batts are at 50%. (Trimetric.) Then recharge.

Another way is to go on inverter whole house, and run some 120v things. Not too many of those stay on long enough though (like a kettle that shuts off when the water boils).
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Katdaddy
Explorer II
Explorer II
full_mosey wrote:
How did you come to believe that 'cycling a battery' is a good idea?

HTH;
John

I let a new set of batteries sit on float for a period of time and lost some capacity. When I asked here I was told to cycle the batteries for better performance. So far it has worked.

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
How did you come to believe that 'cycling a battery' is a good idea?

HTH;
John

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy a charger that does that for you.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY