cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No water pump

Silas_Carpy
Explorer
Explorer
Began winterizing today. Same process as last year. Opened tank and low point drains. Drained water heater. Removed filter, closed w.h. bypass valve, closed tank and low point drain valves. Dumped 5 gal af into tank. Started pump, ran for a few seconds as usual and stopped. Went outside to turn on o.s. shower, nothin. Went back in, pump off. Turned it back on and now have no pump. Fuse good, pump switch light comes on but no pump whatsoever. Any ideas? Thank you. 2009 Fleetwood Pulse, sureflo pump.
16 REPLIES 16

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
way2roll wrote:
My guess would be there isn't enough fluid in the tank to prime the pump. Either add another 5 gals to the tank or rig up a siphon to a jug directly at the pump to pull it into the system.

RV pumps are "Run Dry" pumps. if there is not enough fluid in the tank the pump still runs.. Might be heard to hear but it still runs and runs, and runs and runs. Only pressure on the outlet should shut it off and if the assorted valves are open... there should not be pressure there (Well perhaps 1 or 2 PSI but that's about it)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Silas_Carpy
Explorer
Explorer
Finally got all figured out. Bypass handle plate must be wrong relative to valve. Marked it on wall. Thank you all for advice.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Silas Carpy wrote:
Last year was first year doing this, no issues (other than searching forever for valves). Thought this year would be a piece of cake. PO had told me to put a soda bottle in filter canister to reduce volume, no prob last year, apparently this year the bottle blocked flow causing this prob. Lesson learned. Once I figured this out turned pump on and it ranโ€ฆand ranโ€ฆand ran. I Finally turned it off, went outside and saw dripping from water heater. I have valve handle vertical, pointing to bypass but af was going into water heater. Shouldnโ€™t this valve divert from wh? Will I need to drain everything again to run water through wh? Thanks again for help.

Yes a bottle (or anything ) in your filter will block flow. Seems like a properly installed filter would have a bypass - if anything to change filters. Also, it sounds like your bypass valves aren't in the correct position. I find it good practice to draw a diagram inside the bin.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Silas_Carpy
Explorer
Explorer
Last year was first year doing this, no issues (other than searching forever for valves). Thought this year would be a piece of cake. PO had told me to put a soda bottle in filter canister to reduce volume, no prob last year, apparently this year the bottle blocked flow causing this prob. Lesson learned. Once I figured this out turned pump on and it ranโ€ฆand ranโ€ฆand ran. I Finally turned it off, went outside and saw dripping from water heater. I have valve handle vertical, pointing to bypass but af was going into water heater. Shouldnโ€™t this valve divert from wh? Will I need to drain everything again to run water through wh? Thanks again for help.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
open more than one faucet. I had a trailer that the faucet aerator was clogged and it did exactly what you are describing.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Simple: open a faucet.

Your water pump has to be self-priming. It must therefore be able to pump (at least to a limited degree) air. If the faucets are all closed and you run the pump, it will pressurize the system with air, and whether it shuts off by itself or you shut it off, if you try to turn it on again, it won't start because there is air pressure in the line. Open a faucet, relieve the pressure, and the pump will start tight up.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not sure why your pump isn't working but, also not sure why you're using 5 gallon of AF, or why your dumping it into your tank, most people bypass the tank and hook a hose (either permanently or temporarily)to the in side of the pump, I did my 29' Forester yesterday with 2 gallon.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not sure what is going on with the pump? I would suggest, while having access, to add a winterizing kit, for this process, rather than adding AF to the fresh tank. It takes a while to clear that AF from the tank, when needing to use water again. After a couple of AF laced showers, it usually clears out!

Jerry

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Add a board under one side of the RV wheels. Water tanks tend to sag in the middle and pickups are generally towards one end or the other. Lifting one side will push antifreeze toward the other end. All you need to do is figure out which end the pickup is on.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Silas_Carpy
Explorer
Explorer
Pump under bed, couldnโ€™t reach, had to remove board it is mounted to to access from cubby. Bypassed pressure switch, pump runs, much quieter than before, does not shut off but still no af coming out of any faucet. Rv is level, both pump switches work to turn pump on. I do see a drip coming from pump when on. From pressure switch being bypassed?

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
My guess would be there isn't enough fluid in the tank to prime the pump. Either add another 5 gals to the tank or rig up a siphon to a jug directly at the pump to pull it into the system.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the outside shower head on as well as the faucet?
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you tried opening a different faucet?
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try changing the level of the trailer. You may not have enough fluid in the tank to allow it to get to the drain.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500