cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No hot water

ricks99
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Atwood GC6AA water heater. I have selected the ELECTRIC switch, but not getting any hot water (I waited an hour). I opened the water heater vent, and there is a single amber light and a slight humming sound. After about 5 minutes, the "DSI-FLT" light on the control panel lights up. I've tried using propane, but same result. Any ideas?

Thanks,

-R
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 (aka Rusty)
2017 Kodiak 172e Hybrid (aka Roxy)
13 REPLIES 13

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
DSI-FLT comes on under two.. Or 3 conditions.
1: No flame detected when in GAS mode.. See footnote
2: Over temp (ECO) thermostat open due to over temp or failure
3: Wire discconnected (Red wire to ECO to be disconnected when winterizing) Or bad connection.

Footnote
When mine was new It often took 3 or more times before gas would heat the beast. Electric worked 1st time every time but with Gas I kept getting the Fault (DSI-FLT) Light... Finally gas would not work at all. New control board fixed it.

Now that's mine. do not know how common this issue is.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Plus breakers normally donโ€™t just trip for no reason.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
120 volt circuit breakers can trip without the handle moving. That is why it is important to turn the breakers to the off position applying light pressure to off, then turn them back on.
You still have a problem as the propane portion does not require 120 volts AC to operate.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
ricks99 wrote:
Now fixed.

So, one of the first things I had checked was to see if the beaker had tripped. I *thought* I new what a tripped one looked like....it would be "flipped." Right? Apparently not.

After hearing my DW ask repeatedly if I checked the breaker (and I kept saying "Yes, I'm not a complete fool, I know if a breaker has tripped,") I went ahead and manully flipped and reset the one for the water heater.

Bingo, 5 minutes later we have hot water.

Lesson learned.... Wife is always right.

Well you STILL have a problem. The Water Heater does NOT require 120 volts to operate.
1. NO 120 to the Water heater will NOT cause any fault. It just will not HEAT at all. That is your only indication it is not working on 120
2. The LP system does NOT require 120 also and you stated it did not work, It should have regardless of the 120 problem.
3. You have a 2017. There are a LARGE number of Atwood Water Heaters that have faulty intermittent water heater control modules. I would take it back to the dealer and have them replace the module.
4. The Humming/buzzing sound is NORMAL on Atwood Water Heater Modules. On 120 you can hear it. On LP gas, the roar of the flame hides the buzzing. It only makes the noise when the Heater is Heating. Doug

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Just FYI. DSI FLT = Direct Spark Ignition Fault
Proud father of a US Marine

ricks99
Explorer
Explorer
Now fixed.

So, one of the first things I had checked was to see if the beaker had tripped. I *thought* I new what a tripped one looked like....it would be "flipped." Right? Apparently not.

After hearing my DW ask repeatedly if I checked the breaker (and I kept saying "Yes, I'm not a complete fool, I know if a breaker has tripped,") I went ahead and manully flipped and reset the one for the water heater.

Bingo, 5 minutes later we have hot water.

Lesson learned.... Wife is always right.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
if your in a camp ground ?ask for some help. most rv,guys are willing to help others.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do other gas appliances work? Did you just turn on the gas? Slowly? Do you have adequate battery power for the circuit board. Ours will not operate even if plugged in if the battery is not good. Does your water heater have an on/off switch on the heater itself that has to be turned on? Inside switches for gas and electric? Should be able to use one or the other, or both at the same time. Forgot to mention, I can also only get warm, not hot water if the showerhead is shut off with the showerhead switch and not the main faucets, same goes if an outdoor shower is shut off that way. Check those too.

ricks99
Explorer
Explorer
"Circuit board failure" doesn't sound like something I can fix in the field with my hammer.

Yes, I'm plugged in to 30Amp shore power, if that makes a difference

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Humming from relay.
Are you plugged into shore powwer?
I guess is circuit board failure!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ricks99
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, it is all Greek to me.

Is there some basic troublehooting a complete novice can try I've got a hammer with me, and can try hitting it. ๐Ÿ™‚

I checked the 5Amp fuse in the water heater and it appears fine...that's the level of my abilities

Thanks!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
2017 year combo gas/electric Atwood uses a common DC source (fused) to both electric & gas on-off switches
From the switch DC goes to circuit bd...White wire/Electric & Orange wire/gas

Then electric & gas use same/common components....circuit bd, thermal fuse, t-stat, ECO

Electric uses DC to trigger the electric via DC/AC Relay

So need to follow DC Voltage thru circuits to find where it isn't...
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman