cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No headlights problem please help

jay_kinsaul
Explorer
Explorer
So I just got a 1984 pace arrow in like new condition and everything but the headlights are not turning on. The switch apparently works cause I can turn on my running lights and dash lights and it dims like it should just no headlights at all. I have even tried hitting the brights switch on the floor and it don't do anything either not even the lights for bright for brights light up. So none of the four headlights work dims or lows. Any pointers and advice would be greatly appreciated
16 REPLIES 16

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
For safety reasons all headlights are on self resetting circuit breakers. Most of them are part of the switch.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
allbrandauto wrote:
most chevys used a fusible link at the starter motor

For the headlights? Don't think so.
70s/80s GMs and probably other mfgs, power supply to the headlights goes straight through the switch. (The reason they make cheap relay harness kits now to boost power to the headlights)
Most likely is a failure in the headlight switch itself (I think?)
but trace power in and out of the switch to verify that.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Do you know how to remove the headlight switch? Pull knob all the way out, get your fingers on the back side (flat side) of the switch and push the little spring loaded button and then pull the knob out. Then you can undo the nut that holds the switch assemble in place.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Or, old GM headlight switches are so cheap, just slap a new one in and see if it works.
If it's the same as the cars and trucks, there's a little trick to getting the knob to release. Easier for you to look it up than explain.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
allbrandauto wrote:

For the headlights? Don't think so.
70s/80s GMs and probably other mfgs, power supply to the headlights goes straight through the switch. (The reason they make cheap relay harness kits now to boost power to the headlights)
Most likely is a failure in the headlight switch itself (I think?)
but trace power in and out of the switch to verify that.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
Matt_Colie wrote:
Jay,
You don't say what the chassis but most have the headlights on a separate fuse that is in the fuse group. Now you just have to find it and hope it is bad and that is all that is wrong.
Matt

Headlights are NOT fused. The lead for the headlight switch comes straight from battery power. The headlight switch does have a circuit breaker built in.

The headlight switch does have separate circuitry for the headlights and the parking/running lights. So the switch may be bad, even if the running/dash lights work.

You need to get out your VOM and check for voltage all along the wiring path for the headlights.

Richard

๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, this is the correct answer; Also when you remove the headlight switch, look for a melted connector.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
This was a classic purchase on your part. Congratulations!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jay_kinsaul
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah it's crazy how good of shape this thing is in it's like a time capsule. The carpet is like new and all the original appliances still work. Has 23,000 miles on odometer and 49 hours on generator. Changed the fuel filters and now runs and stops great for $200

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There may be a fuse or breaker.. There may also be a relay in the main chassis fuse box (or elsewhere)

True story... My 8.1L Vortec (Chevy) engine would not crank (starter not engaging) I heard a sharp CLICK. not a CLUNK but a CLICK.
Pulled the starter pilot relay out of the fuse box.. Cleaned contracts. (I have the tools for that) replaced. Varoom.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer

jay_kinsaul
Explorer
Explorer
I will have to check that next time I go to it. I hear the switch work but like I said the blue light indicator for brights don't come on

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
Check for power at your high beam switch with the headlamps on. Should have 12 volts going in and it'll have 12 volts coming back out on either the high beam circuit or the low beam circuit. Also check the connector down there for corrosion and wires broken off
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

jay_kinsaul
Explorer
Explorer
It's got the Chevy chassis wit the 454. I saw somewhere on Google that there's a circuit breaker on the switch itself

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
Jay,
You don't say what the chassis but most have the headlights on a separate fuse that is in the fuse group. Now you just have to find it and hope it is bad and that is all that is wrong.
Matt

Headlights are NOT fused. The lead for the headlight switch comes straight from battery power. The headlight switch does have a circuit breaker built in.

The headlight switch does have separate circuitry for the headlights and the parking/running lights. So the switch may be bad, even if the running/dash lights work.

You need to get out your VOM and check for voltage all along the wiring path for the headlights.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson