cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Roof Time! Can I just layer over the existing plywood?

211Racing
Explorer
Explorer
Got an old, unkempt 2002 Tioga 25' Class C RV recently (really cheap). Fixed the mechanical issues. Now going after the roof. Whatever they last used for a roof membrane, it is almost completely gone. Bare plywood in many places. Some dry rot. Did exploratory surgery this morning with a hole-saw. See the images. The plywood forming the exterior roof and interior ceiling is approximately 3mm thick. Between that roof and ceiling is 3" of foam (presumably injected). The adhesion between the plywood and foam is very strong. What problems do I cause myself if I leave the current plywood in place, strip, clean and seal it, patch wherever needed, than lay down (put up) a new 5mm plywood layer on the roof and ceiling? This will be a low-use vehicle, mostly for day trips to motocross/hare scramble races (need someplace to cool off). I am willing to accept the added weight. Thank you for your insights and shared experiences.

[img][/img]

11 REPLIES 11

211Racing
Explorer
Explorer
OK. Got the roof stripped. Why the heck is there a gap at the edge of the roof all the way down both sides? That's where the roofing/membrane failed and water got in. And ... why is a thin layer of (what looks like) fiberglass patch over that gap? Seems unfinished. Also seems like the source of lots of work for me.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, you can overlay the existing plywood once the EPDM is removed. Just Glue and screw the new plywood onto the old plywood. YOU CANNOT USE THE OLD DECKING AT ALL. You must use new plywood. Doug

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look up AZ Expert on You Tube. He has several roof videos.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
JMO but if the existing plywood is in good condition I would consider giving it a dose of preservatives & go from there with whatever you deem good for top coatings or coverings.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

211Racing
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not in deep enough into the tear down to get a reading on leaks or mold. I'll remediate that as it appears.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I take it you have found no evidence of leaking, (interior or exterior), no signs of mold.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I should also that when you cover with new plywood, glue it down with a good construction adhesive like PL Max (get it one of the big box home stores). It's very strong yet flexible and will make the new plywood part of the structural panel. This way you only need a few staples to hold it while the PL dries.

The Lance that I rebuilt (link in my signature) had an aluminum roof, that's another option if you can get a roll of aluminum wide enough to cover with no seams. The aluminum would be sturdier than the rubber but much harder to work with outside of a factory setting.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest following Burb Manโ€™s recommendations.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
The adhesives don't stick well to the old surfaces. Most times new lauan is used to get a good bond for the new roof membrane.
Dicor has been punishing RVers for years. Given time it cracks and leaks. If you're going to all that work spend a little more and use Sikaflex 715 for sealing around your EPDM roof. Sikaflex doesn't harden and crack like Dicor.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

211Racing
Explorer
Explorer
That's what I wanted to hear.

Thank you.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is a structural panel where the styrofoam and plywood is all vacuum bonded together. I would clean up the roof as you describe, then go over it with 1/8" (3mm) plywood so you have a nice clean surface, then get a roll of EDPM rubber membrane and cover the roof with that. Glue it down. Seal around vents, etc. with Dicor self-leveling lap sealant. If the rig had a rubber roof on it before there is probably trim around the edges you can reuse.