cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mounting my solar panels

Darklock
Explorer
Explorer
I have ordered some solar panels to put on my TT. I bought the 200 watt kit from Renogy. I doubt that I will be able to determine where the structural members are, so there is the very real possibility that if I just use screws they will only be into the plywood decking. In any other applications, I would trust this, but not for going down the highway at 60mph. Therefore, I am thinking of using expanding well nuts. Good plan? Or does the collective here feel that the screws should be enough?
Also, what is best sealant to insure no leaks? No clue what the roof surface is. TT is a Gulfstream Conquest.
Bil
33 REPLIES 33

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have 8 solar panels on my 5er. All are held on with Z brackets and coarse ss screws. The screws are driven through a blob of dicor and then the screw head is covered with dicor. No holes were drilled for the screws so they hold very well. Been like that for years.
BTW if you use double side tape you are depending on the glue holding the rubber roof on. If you use the tape on the frame of the panel you can maybe get enough to hold, but you then have no air circulation under the panels, so they may overheat in the summer sun.

Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
3M double sided VHS tape, No. 4950, is probably holding many thousands of solar panels on RV roofs for years - and not a single report of one ever not working. The best leak seal of all is no seal needed.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
The screws and adheasive chalking umder and over brackets and screws will do it.
Just believe it !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The great fear of solar panels littering the roadways didn’t happen but I’d still use the well nuts. Dicor wholly seals my holes. PS I suggest wiring for four hundred solar watts...then you can easily add panels. 200 might be insufficient.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad