cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LT265/60R20 Tire PRESSURE??

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
anyone running the above listed tires on there lt duty trucks? if so what amount of air pressure are u running for everyday use, no loads or towing? tire rated for 80psi but seems a little to much for normal driving conditions. Any suggestions on a psi for normal driving? load E range 10 ply and truck is a ram 2012.
13 REPLIES 13

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
I quickly wore through the center of the tread on the rear tires when following the door frame sticker pressures on my old truck. I settled on matching the front pressure when lightly loaded, and using the sticker pressure only when heavily loaded. Tread wear is much improved.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
joelyn wrote:
Thanks for all the responses and suggestions, i think I am going to put 50psi in all 4 and see how it rides and go from there. will increase when towing our TT... give a update in a few weeks.
Again thanks for all the help...

WHY guess? Weight it loaded and unloaded then use the weight/inflation chart.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
50 psi would be a good place to start with those 20" LT E tires. Watch the wear especially on the front axle with a heavy diesel engine. Lots of city driving can wear the edges.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses and suggestions, i think I am going to put 50psi in all 4 and see how it rides and go from there. will increase when towing our TT... give a update in a few weeks.
Again thanks for all the help...

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The following paragraph is an excerpt from USTMA standards.

โ€œNever set tire inflation pressures below the recommended inflation pressure found on the vehicle tire placard, certification label or ownerโ€™s manual. Under inflation causes excessive heat build-up and internal structural damage that may lead to a tire failure, even at a later date. Do not exceed the maximum inflation pressure shown on tire sidewall. Over inflated tires (over the maximum molded on the tire sidewall) are more likely to be cut, punctured or damaged by sudden impact from hitting an obstacle, such as a pothole.โ€

Optional inflation pressures are somewhere between vehicle manufacturer recommendations and tire sidewall max.

See the reference in the โ€“ click here โ€“ below. You will find the quoted excerpt on page 11.

You may find argumentative statements about inflation to the load carried. It comes from the commercial carrier side of the house and is not applicable for your vehicle. The FMVSS directed the vehicle manufacturer to provide a percentage of load capacity reserves with the tires/axles they fitted to your vehicle. Why would you want to do less?

Click Here!

Mike_LeClair
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a totally unscientifically arrived at answer. 60psi in the front and 65psi in the rears. This will provide a more comfortable ride, will not fire the TPMS off and will provide an even wear pattern on the tires. You should rotate them every 10K or so. If your wheel alignment and wheel balances are all within manufacturer specification you should not have any problems whatsoever. As always, just my .02cents and YMMV. 80psi I use only when loaded to the absolute maximum that the truck is rated for.

Cheers and Merry Christmas

Mike
Something Old, Something New
2012 F350 SRW, 6.7l Powerstroke, 3.55's front and rear.
2008 Fleetwood Regal 325RKTS
Mike, Carol and our 4 legged "furry child" Kenzie Shweenie Tod

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Weigh your axles loaded and unloaded. Use the weight inflation chart for your tire size and load. Add 10psi to front and 5 psi to rear. Do so and you will have a good ride and excellent tire wear.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
On my 250 Dodge/Cummins with OEM LT265/70-17 E tires and wheels with 2840 lb on the rear axle I found 40-45 psi with empty truck works best for my rig.
And 70 psi with my different trailers hooked up.

I've found 65 psi in the fronts gets the best ride and best service with a empty truck or GN/5th wheel/bumper pull trailers.
I ran the OEM LTX AS Michelins for 115k miles. Went with a mild AT tread for a huge improvement in wet pavement/gravel road/winter traction.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
Ideally, you need to weigh your vehicle with a full load of fuel and everything you normally carry, including passengers.

You can find your nearest CAT scale here:

https://catscale.com/

Once you have ACTUAL weights for your axles, you can find various brand tire load charts here:

https://www.escapees.com/education/smartweigh/forms/#tireinfo

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
on my duramax the door placard has two PSI charts. one for towing, one unloaded. unloaded I run the unloaded PSI, IIRC around 65psi. On the gm 65psi doesn't trigger the TPMS alarm.

And I had the dealer reprogram the TPMS alarm system to 55psi all around. easy to check tire pressure on the dash, and it makes sure I don't get an errant alarm.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
What is the weight on the tire? Single or dual rear wheels?

If you know the axle weights, you can look up in a table from the tire manufacturer (or really any maker of the same size and type and weight rating of tire) and see what the appropriate inflation pressure is for your weight. 80 psi would only be appropriate around the maximum rated weight capacity of the tire, which I'm pretty sure you're nowhere near in everyday running around.

If you don't know the axle weights, the door sticker would give reasonable information for the maximum payload of the truck, if these are the stock sized tires for the truck.

weights off the weight chart fothe 2012..

Curb Weight
5,342 lbs
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
6,800 lbs
Max Payload
1,458 lbs

hope this helps

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
What is the weight on the tire? Single or dual rear wheels?

If you know the axle weights, you can look up in a table from the tire manufacturer (or really any maker of the same size and type and weight rating of tire) and see what the appropriate inflation pressure is for your weight. 80 psi would only be appropriate around the maximum rated weight capacity of the tire, which I'm pretty sure you're nowhere near in everyday running around.

If you don't know the axle weights, the door sticker would give reasonable information for the maximum payload of the truck, if these are the stock sized tires for the truck.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not that tire but a lot of people run the 80# tires at 65# if your tpms system will allow it without an alarm.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper