cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lost connection: House battery to Converter (SOLVED)

WesternHorizon
Explorer
Explorer
Boondocking way out west.

1995 Tioga Montara Class C on Ford F350 chassis, 460 V-8. Upgraded to BestConverter Ultra III in 2014.

Inverter chirping in the afternoon from low voltage, so started Onan generator. 14.4 volts on meter, later dropped to 13.9. Around this time the fan in the converter started pulsing low / higher. I thought this was because the battery was charged.

Turned off the Onan and everything went black.

Checked converter bottom 30A fuses (unscrew lower compartment). If fuses removed while Onan is on, lights go out. Implies power converter is the only source of 12 VDC.

Fan does not come on, implying the battery is not putting any load on the charger.

Turned off Onan and checked supply line from house battery. Less than one volt (dropping slowly because of backfeed from power converter.)

Key symptom: Converter no longer has a connection to the house battery, either to charge it or get power from it.

Yet battery is charged and starts the generator through the heavy cable.

Chassis manual shows โ€œModified vehicle power feedsโ€ 50A fuse in Power Distribution Box. Pulled this with difficulty: OK.

Key diagnostic question: What has changed?

Wrote everything down, ran Honda EU2000i overnight to power furnace and most importantly the VPAP machine.

The problem is now fixed. Can anyone diagnose it based on the clues above?
6 REPLIES 6

WesternHorizon
Explorer
Explorer
"You ask what changed.. You pulled (with difficulty) the fuse and I assume put it back. in the process you scraped the contacts (Blades)"

I was unclear about this part. That fuse had nothing to do with the problem. Not sure it is even used for anything. But good tips on intermittent fuses. Thank you.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Have voltmeter, will travel. Even when traveling in a friends RV I take a voltmeter and alligator clips. It has saved me many times as well as others.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
WesternHorizon wrote:

Chassis manual shows โ€œModified vehicle power feedsโ€ 50A fuse in Power Distribution Box. Pulled this with difficulty: OK.above?

You ask what changed.. You pulled (with difficulty) the fuse and I assume put it back. in the process you scraped the contacts (Blades) clean and restored contat.. Alt-The fuse may be bad in a way that allows it to opperate intermederate (I do not have the time to explain that but a bad connection internally vibrates into an out of contact) I do not think this is common with BLADE type fuses (E LIke ATC) but it is with some others... More likely corrosion erased by pulling and inserting.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

WesternHorizon
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Battery POS cable to converter In-Line CB tripped

Bingo!

Next morning noticed that there is a red 10AWG cable coming up from below and possibly from the rear of the vehicle. It connects to the bottom lug of a component on the firewall. Could this be the supply line to the converter?

With generator running, this showed 13.6 volts. Could this be backfeed from the converter, trying to charge the house battery?

With generator off, this showed 0 volts. Bingo?

The top lug showed 11.6 volts with and without the generator on. I suspected this was the undercharged house battery.

I very carefully wrapped a jumper of wire between the two terminals. And on came the lights!

So, what changed? This circuit breaker wore out over 23 years. I Googled and found one

Modified Reset Circuit Breaker

Glad I had electrical tools along so I could diagnose this problem. Almost did not bring them but figured there might be a problem with the dirt bike. Would have lost days going in to the city.

Good fun being self-sufficient out in the boondocks.

MrWizard
My generator is connected the engine battery

I need to track down the cable and change that

Yes my Onan starts with house batteries disconnected
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Battery POS cable to converter In-Line CB tripped