cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just got a great new DMM

msiminoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
Caveat: I am not affiliated with the Moshim company or their product in any way, shape, or form... I'm just a happy customer and wanted to share my experience.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I recently read an article about the Mooshimeter and couldn't resist buying one. I figured the rest of you tech' nerds my find it interesting too...
Mooshimeter is a true RMS, high-resolution, multi-channel, digital multi-meter that transmits data to a smartphone or tablet via Bluetooth. It also has the ability to log data to an internal (up 32Gb) microSD card so measurements can be taken over an extended period of time. Here are a few pic's and screen-grabs.

The Mooshimeter comes in handy carrying case and includes 3 test probes (plus alligator clip accessories)

The three (plus common) shrouded banana terminals allow any two channels (voltage, current, or resistance) to be monitored simultaneously.

The Mooshimeter offers a higher resolution display than my (calibrated) Fluke 87.
FYI; Voltage shown is my house battery bank at 87% SOC, 12V compressor fridge running, and no sun on the solar panels yet this am

This is a screen-grab on ~8-second graph of the same house battery voltage measurement.

Right now the only thing the I wish the iOS Mooshimeter app' could do, but doesn't is display temperature from a K-type thermocouple. Of course it can display the thermocouple's voltage in mV, but it doesn't yet display the temperature in ยบC or F. The company has said that this will be implemented in a future release of the app'.

Cheers,
-Mark
'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog
16 REPLIES 16

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Ooooo I love it when somone comes along and blurts out they waste time perusing long threads that they have absolutely no interest in. Maybe their favorite lost to Pocono 500 and they're starting to get a headache and acid stomach from all those Cheetos and synthosuds. "Hey you! Yeah you, over there! Don't buy that!" Don'cha love it?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
That is so cool ! But as an engineer I want MORE. 4 port (all voltage) and a faster sample rate. The sample rate needs to be as high as Bluetooth can handle. If it was at least 100MS/sec on each channel it would be a cool portable scope !

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
just bought this, hope its still working good for you OP

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
The website says 10 amps for the pass through measurement, but it says it sensitive enough to use existing wiring as a current shunt, and shows it measuring a 200 amp starter draw.
-- Chris Bryant

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Looks interesting, what's the max dc current range?

Thanks

Ron W
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

msiminoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
LittleBill wrote:
do you know if it will measure peak inrush? can you show its output for harmonic distortion?

Yes (probably), and no...

This is a fast, high-resolution meter... The spec' sheet says it has a 4kHz (max, analog) sampling rate which, in most cases, should be fast enough. Sadly however, the mobile app' does not currently offer a "peak hold" button (although It would be great to have this feature in a future version!) . I haven't yet used the data logging tool, but it is my understanding that all data is buffered and then logged to the microSD card at a max of around 300Hz which means that for your average inrush (eg. the A/C compressor starting) of several cycles at 60Hz it should log it just fine, but possibly not for high freq'/short duration inrush events.

The Mooshimeter is not an oscilloscope and the app' doesn't have the ability to display freq' or THD. Interestingly, it can offer some o-scope-like functionality, for example here is a screen grab of the output waveform of my ProSine 2.0

Hey Mex', there's my handy DROK ac Volt meter ๐Ÿ™‚

-Mark
'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
do you know if it will measure peak inrush? can you show its output for harmonic distortion?

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the share
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
"Kah Sploosh"

"Whazzat?"

"My six hundred dollar Fluke went overboard in that giant wake"

A customer dropped his extremely expensive Fluke into the slosh of the dinghy. Despite my best maniac rapid effort on board, the meter was ruined. Disassembly, and massive flush with WD40: No joy. At the end, I placed the circuitry in boiling reverse osmosis water for a couple of minutes (minus the LCD). The LCD went Sanskrit for a few seconds then quit for good.

Nothing beats the wisdom of what msiminoff posted above ๐Ÿ™‚

msiminoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
gswcgi wrote:
SO, what did it cost?

I got mine from Amazon (w/free shipping) for $125.... that's a whole lot less than the $370 I paid for my Fluke. Only time will tell how she holds up, but so far, so good with the Mooshimeter's functionality... and it sure is convenient!!

It's my personal belief that every RV owner needs to own at least one high quality (recently calibrated, RMS) multimeter, and one or more cheap-o DVMs. I have a teeny-tiny Radio Shack meter that can easily fit in a shirt pocket and a whole handful of those red ones that Harbor Freight gives away every time I make a $10 purchase. If I'm going up on the roof or crawling under my truck, you can bet that I'm bringing the free one with me ๐Ÿ™‚

-Mark
The Overlhander Blog

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
gswcgi wrote:
SO, what did it cost?

The website says $120, which is pretty cheap considering what you get- less than my Fluke, certainly.
-- Chris Bryant

gswcgi
Explorer
Explorer
SO, what did it cost?
'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

MrWizard
OK I want it
Not right away, but some day... :B
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
"Mooshi Mooshi" is how Japanese answer the telephone.

Thanks for the luscious bon-bon

I have already decided to pick up a low Hz model scope meter with USB.