cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is it OK to mix battery types??

sprintstream
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new trailer along with its accompanying new 12v deep cycle battery. I also have a nearly new large 12v diesel starting battery just sitting in the garage. I would like to hook them up together to improve my available AmpHrs. Is there any problem to doing that I don't see? It irks me to have the diesel battery sitting there doing nothing. (yes, I know to hook them in parallel)
Was living the dream in the Ozarks
Now just living
13 REPLIES 13

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
wa8yxm wrote:
Well there are a few significant differences but not all that significant,.

The Big D'a cranker is a STARTING battery should be kept 80% or fuller State of charge the "Deep Cycle" is most likely a MARINE/deep cycle. note the change of case with a recommendation to keep it over 75% full

True DEEP CYCLE go down to 50 (or less with some of 'em) before serious damage happens,.

Beyond that I've seen all sorts of posts saying "DO NO MIX" Ignore them.
The stronger one will be dragged down by the weaker NO IT WILL NOT
The smaller one will charge faster and tell the converter to stop charging NO IT WILL NOT in fact that is impossible.

One exception and this applies if batteries are mixed or identical IF you have batteries in parallel, mixed or identical matters not. and one gets a SHORTED CELL then it will drag the entire bank down.. But Mixing makes no difference.

NOW: batteries in SERIES (Example 2 GC-2's to make 12 volts) or a 5 Cell Streamlight or maglight flashlight) The batteries need to be matched.. Replace one replace all.

That is where the myths about parallel hookups come from But for parallel they are myths.

ON one more comment
Mixing gc-2 pairs with 12 volt cans.. I do that. no problem
One pair GC-2
One each group 27 29 and 31 all working together flawlessly

(Note I'd have all 31's save the store did not)

Lead acid batteries are only happy at 100%...deep cycle simply tolerates deep discharges a bit better. They don't like to sit at 50%.

The rest about myths...simple math...if you parallel the batteries the voltage between the incoming and outgoing cable must be at the same voltage...so the terminals on either side of each battery must have the same voltage...if one battery is running a higher voltage, it will force a current to the lower voltage battery. If it's a small difference, you may not notice it but it will be happening.

If you have batteries of different group but otherwise same design, if they are new, you can probably get away with it because they will be in similar condition and not much difference in input/output voltages.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well there are a few significant differences but not all that significant,.

The Big D'a cranker is a STARTING battery should be kept 80% or fuller State of charge the "Deep Cycle" is most likely a MARINE/deep cycle. note the change of case with a recommendation to keep it over 75% full

True DEEP CYCLE go down to 50 (or less with some of 'em) before serious damage happens,.

Beyond that I've seen all sorts of posts saying "DO NO MIX" Ignore them.
The stronger one will be dragged down by the weaker NO IT WILL NOT
The smaller one will charge faster and tell the converter to stop charging NO IT WILL NOT in fact that is impossible.

One exception and this applies if batteries are mixed or identical IF you have batteries in parallel, mixed or identical matters not. and one gets a SHORTED CELL then it will drag the entire bank down.. But Mixing makes no difference.

NOW: batteries in SERIES (Example 2 GC-2's to make 12 volts) or a 5 Cell Streamlight or maglight flashlight) The batteries need to be matched.. Replace one replace all.

That is where the myths about parallel hookups come from But for parallel they are myths.

ON one more comment
Mixing gc-2 pairs with 12 volt cans.. I do that. no problem
One pair GC-2
One each group 27 29 and 31 all working together flawlessly

(Note I'd have all 31's save the store did not)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
no any battery person will tell you to use same age and same type batteries on any thing. My brother was a battery store owner and he told me that. I trust what he told me. even if you look up rv education 101 or Dr rv they will tell you the same thing

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Seeing as the "new" battery is a "marine cycle" and not true deep discharge, the "old" diesel battery, while not a perfect match, will work.

In an ideal world all the "house" batteries would be deep cycle, and identical in all possible ways.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

sprintstream
Explorer
Explorer
I really appreciated the "balanced battery" post. Made a lot of sense. I'm thinking if I can figure out a good battery tray (yes, the diesel battery is big) that just might take care of the issue of old/new mix. Thanks for the comments.
Was living the dream in the Ozarks
Now just living

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You can add mixed and mixed age batteries. But, it is not a good idea. A older battery will cause problems with the newer battery and can cause the newer battery to fail prematurely. Interstate Battery, one of the largest makers of Batteries in the USA, They have a policy, If just ONE of their batteries fail during warranty, they replace ALL the batteries in that battery bank. Now to your situation. The RV battery SHOULD be a deep cycle battery. A Chassis battery is NOT. So you will be mixing a Deep Battery with a standard Battery, which is not good. Doug

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Generally a bad idea. It's unlikely that they will hold a consistent charge which means the weak battery will constantly be drawing the better battery down.

If you want to take the trouble to wire them up as separate banks that are kept isolated except for charging, that's OK.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Other than what that diesel battery must weigh, it would work.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
After we had had our mh for a couple of years, that only had one battery, I wanted to add a second battery. So I added a double throw switch, which allowed me to use only battery at a time and switched them every day. But paralleled them while driving to charge them. That kept them rather equally charged, and worked fine.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Be sure to wire the batteries in a balanced manner.

This is what is balanced and best for twin twelve volt batteries.

As it often doesn't cost a dime more to do this, I think it is worth the trouble.

If you wish to understand the "why" surf here:

correctly interconnecting multiple twelve volt batteries
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don,t agree one battery could be weak ,it will draw the other down. you,ll get some input just wait, I,ve all ways been told mixing battery,s a no,no. sell that diesel battery and get two the same.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Starting batteries donโ€™t do well with long, low amp hour discharges. Not built for that type of service.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad