Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gray tank venting problem

olympicman
Explorer
Explorer
Gray tank vent problem:
A couple of weeks ago water backed up in the shower while wife was showering , when I returned an hour later I looked in shower with 3" of water in it I said no big deal tank needed dumped.

Now when we fill the kitchen sink with water for dishes and drain it backs up in the shower if the dump valve is closed, but drains fine with dump valve open. Thought ok vent to tank is plugged, so I removed vent cap at roof of RV and ran water down vent pipe to clear and make sure it ran clear and it did.

Clearing the vent pipe did not help and I tried stuffing a towel into shower drain so water could not come up there, filled both kitchen sinks and drained them with dump valve closed and water came up in bath sink drain. There is also a bad smell when draining sink with dump valve closed, but no smell when valve is open.

My gray vent pipe does not go straight down at the top it has 2 45 fittings to move the pipe over to miss the slide-out.

Any ideas to help would be appreciated.
Bill & Diana & Suzie the super dog lab
2010 Rexhall Airbus 310
Work'in to retire and really RV
29 REPLIES 29

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.buspartsexperts.com/KAZOO-DRAIN-VALVE-1_p_1195.html
If you connect a small drain pipe or hose fitting where you put that screw hole and install a duckbill valve on the end of it will take care of releasing any accumulated water without needing your attention. These can be found in many different sizes and types for many different applications....

http://www.buspartsexperts.com/KAZOO-DRAIN-VALVE-1_p_1195.html
John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I was thinking that you may want to put some drain cleaner down the vent into the trap. It could clean the pipe so it will not clog. Maybe leave it in overnight and then flush it out.
Make sure it is good for plastic pipe.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
olympicman wrote:
Yes I have ran a hose down the vent and ran water with dump valve both open and closed probably 20 to 30 gallons. If you look at my drawing you can see that the vent pipe does not drop straight down into the tank, but drops down from top of tank before going up to the roof top. The full wall slide makes the pipe configuration nessesary.

if you could some how drill a hole into that vent pipe to put a drain tube to let out any liquid that could build up in it drain out under the motorhome, not a good design at all
, as it is the tank builds pressure...

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
If that was the problem, I would think that when you dump the grey tank, there would be enough suction to suck the water out of the p-trap. ....

I believe there are multiple (4?) p-traps in parallel, the one(s) with the least resistance would give way in this manner.

olympicman
Explorer
Explorer
Final update,
Drilled small hole and drained out the stinky water in low point of the vent pipe. I filled both kitchen sinks with 4 and 8 gallons of water and pulled plug on both at same time, no backup into shower and no stink. Problem solved. I also put a screw in to plug the hole I drilled.
2010 Rexhall Airbus 310

olympicman
Explorer
Explorer
Update 1/24/2019,
Yes low point is accessable, so I am going to drill a hole for it to drain and plug with a screw. I will update later today how that works.
I am also looking into installing the SeeLevel gauges to better monitor tank levels, bt that will have to wait until I get home to Oregon in March where I have all my tools.
2010 Rexhall Airbus 310

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
Any update ??????
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Is the low point accessible? If so, I would consider drilling a drain in it and plugging it with a screw. Also make sure you have a decent vent cover to keep rain water from entering the trap.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
If that was the problem, I would think that when you dump the grey tank, there would be enough suction to suck the water out of the p-trap.

Rig a collar sealing the top of the roof vent with an air compressor hose inserted. WITH THE DRAIN VALVE OPEN turn on the compressor and blow out the vent like you would blow out water lines to winterize.

I agree except, I would use the output of a shop vac instead of an air compressor.

Terry78
Explorer
Explorer
Vapor lock?

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
If that was the problem, I would think that when you dump the grey tank, there would be enough suction to suck the water out of the p-trap.

Rig a collar sealing the top of the roof vent with an air compressor hose inserted. WITH THE DRAIN VALVE OPEN turn on the compressor and blow out the vent like you would blow out water lines to winterize.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

olympicman
Explorer
Explorer
Harvard, yes a P trap in the vent pipe, poor design by Rexhall not a regular p-trap, but it acts like one.
2010 Rexhall Airbus 310

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
olympicman wrote:
.....you can see that the vent pipe does not drop straight down into the tank, but drops down from top of tank before going up to the roof top.......

So this vent is a p-trap that is filled with water.....blocking the flow of air....right?

olympicman
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I have ran a hose down the vent and ran water with dump valve both open and closed probably 20 to 30 gallons. If you look at my drawing you can see that the vent pipe does not drop straight down into the tank, but drops down from top of tank before going up to the roof top. The full wall slide makes the pipe configuration nessesary.
2010 Rexhall Airbus 310