cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fresh water tank replacement

Glenn_And_Kitty
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2019 Coleman Lite 2425RB TT. I have two cracks in my fresh water tank. Specs say it is a 60 gallon tank. I had the tank drain open this winter but it got down to 12 degrees (almost unheard of in south Louisiana). It caught me off guard. There must have been a small amount of water in the corners or low spot below drain level. I tried a handy man repair with JB Weld and Eternbond tape in the two 3 inch cracks but it did not hold. I'll have to replace the tank.
My question is: With the corrugated fiber board needing to be removed and then getting the tank out being beyond my expertise and ability, do I go back to a dealer, shade tree repair guy, or what other option might I consider?
Glenn
2019 Coleman 2425RB
2019 F-150
5 REPLIES 5

Glenn_And_Kitty
Explorer
Explorer
Original poster :
Since both cracks are accessible I'm up to trying again to do a repair. Since JB Weld covered with Eterna bond tape didn't work could anyone give me any suggestion as to what other material I might try.
Has anyone ever use the "as seen on TV" Flex Seal or Flex Tape on an RV tank?
I also saw a video using the heat head and plastic rods melting the plastic in a crack. I'm working under the RV on the bottom of the tank. Would I be able to use that melting method if I'm working upside down? I'm almost 70 years old and I can crawl under to work on the project but I'm really not up to removing the tank.
Glenn
2019 Coleman 2425RB
2019 F-150

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Since the cracks sound accessible, it might work trying to plastic weld it. First drill small holes at the ends of the current cracks to stop their propagation. Plastic welders can be had from harbor freight and other places.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Ron3rd wrote:
Hire a reputable mobile rv repair person. He/she will make quick work of it if they're competent

This^^^.
I have replaced two myself. It's not terribly hard/complicated but you need to be able to get on the ground and crawl , slide shimmy on the ground to get the job done.
I see it as an easy job for a young man. A miserable job for an old man...LOL
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Hire a reputable mobile rv repair person. He/she will make quick work of it if they're competent
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
My rule is...if you question your own ability, get a professional repair.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad