cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Filling the gas tank

Remmag
Explorer
Explorer
I have a class C MH on a 2007 Ford E450 chassis and have trouble filling the gas tank completely. Sometimes it fills right up, sometimes it stops 7 or 8 gal. short and refuses my efforts to add more. This happen to anybody else and how to correct it?
15 REPLIES 15

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
kellertx5er wrote:
DFord wrote:
If you can get at the fuel fill tube between the outside wall and the tank, check to make sure it and the vent hose are both slanted upwards toward the filler door. It sounds like the vent hose may have an kink preventing it from allowing air to exit the tank when gasoline is entering.

Fuel tanks for the last several decades have not had 'vent hoses'. Fuel systems are sealed for emission and safety reasons. Displaced air must escape through the filler neck.

Perhaps it's just a question of semantics, but there still is a vent hose (separate from the fill hose) that terminates at the filler neck. Blockage or other trouble with this vent hose will cause problems in filling the tank.

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
DFord wrote:
If you can get at the fuel fill tube between the outside wall and the tank, check to make sure it and the vent hose are both slanted upwards toward the filler door. It sounds like the vent hose may have an kink preventing it from allowing air to exit the tank when gasoline is entering.

Fuel tanks for the last several decades have not had 'vent hoses'. Fuel systems are sealed for emission and safety reasons. Displaced air must escape through the filler neck.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
NinerBikes wrote:
That'll get ya the Order of the Crescent Moon scar around your eyebrow, cause the only way to get the accuracy at extended range is to shoot from the prone position, off of a rest... and that Telescopic sight has a good chance of drawing blood, possibly needing stitches, when it pops ya but good.

No "Order of the Crescent Moon" membership here ... my BAR 300 Win Mag has an adjustable muzzle break. ๐Ÿ™‚

P.S. My setup is why I laugh at the AR 15 and related stuff ... they're really just popguns.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Or ... if you don't wanna stalk nor get 7 mag close ... try 300 Win Mag. ๐Ÿ˜‰

That'll get ya the Order of the Crescent Moon scar around your eyebrow, cause the only way to get the accuracy at extended range is to shoot from the prone position, off of a rest... and that Telescopic sight has a good chance of drawing blood, possibly needing stitches, when it pops ya but good.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or ... if you don't wanna stalk nor get 7 mag close ... try 300 Win Mag. ๐Ÿ˜‰

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Remmag wrote:
Thanks for the responses! (9erBikes that would be 7mm)
My hunting buddies have always told me that 7 Mag owners buy it to compensate for poor stalking skills, and that a 270 Win was superior, around a lot more years, and had far more kills.

Remmag
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses! (9erBikes that would be 7mm)

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 2005 E450 Itasca Class C has done that for the 10 years that we've owned it. The automatic nozzle shutoffs at gas station pumps stop with the tank at least 5 gallons short of full.

However, I've learned a way around it. I "trickle fill" 5 more gallons into the tank after the nozzle tries to shut off the flow - by carefully feathering the nozzle trigger to get 5 more gallons to dribble into the tank. It probably takes another 6-7 minutes of standing there to do this, but I wind up with a full tank. This takes patience ... and only 70 to 80 percent of the nozzles allow you to do this. Some nozzle shut-offs are so sensitive that you can't dribble any more gas through them after they want to shut off.

It's worth it to me because I hate stopping for gas and I like a full tank before heading off-pavement so that we as much as possible have plenty of fuel for long generator runs, if needed, for battery charging or running of the A/C in hot weather. I've even had attendants come out and ask me if the pump is working OK ... probably because of my sometimes long fill times.

Since our Class C is only 24 feet long our fill nozzle is very close to the stock rear tank location so I'm not sure how much, if any, Winnebago had to extend the fill pipe location.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Per my observation the filler-vent tank tubes are at the bottom of the priority list with manufacturers.
Recently I drive F350 pickup that I converted from utility body to dually bed.
Had to run the hoses from rear tank to new fuel neck.
Even I tried to do it the simplest way, the design is not making it easy.
So I ended up with neck, that require certain nozzle position to fill up without nozzle popping up constantly.
In my case it is about 10 degree CCW. I hope you can find yours.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
It's important to note when replacing those pieces of "hose" to make sure you get hose rated for "gas lines" I found NAPA carried the bigger sizes - like the 1-1/2" hose for the filler. Radiator hose will deteriorate very rapidly when exposed to gasoline.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
The chassis ships from Ford with the filler right by the inlet to the tank. Then the chassis gets stretched. The filler gets moved way away from where it started. I believe the idea is to get it as far away from Fridge, Water Heater, Furnace where there's a chance of sparks. They run piping (probably electric conduit) for Fill and Vent. If those are high (from filler neck) crossed, or way off level, fueling will be difficult. I tried to "neaten" ours up when I replaced the hoses from Filler to Conduit and Conduit to Tank. When I did, it wouldn't fill. Ended up cutting my Zip Ties and letting the tubes sag to where I found them. If your filler is back by the bumper, parking with nose down at the fuel island will help some, if you can arrange that.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Remmag wrote:
I have a class C MH on a 2007 Ford E450 chassis and have trouble filling the gas tank completely. Sometimes it fills right up, sometimes it stops 7 or 8 gal. short and refuses my efforts to add more. This happen to anybody else and how to correct it?

If only you had a K&N fuel filter, it would breathe better. That's a 5mm Remmag, right?

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
double post

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
I had an early 2000's Ford Explorer that was that way. If it was setting level I couldn't get it full. I carried a piece of 2X4 that I would roll the rear tire up on on the filler neck side and then I could fill it completely.
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad