cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Failed Again. Dometic Brisk Air II 15K Air Conditioner

smiggleburger
Explorer
Explorer
I recently discovered that my third Dometic 15K BTU AC in three years has failed again. Just like the last two times, it powers up, the compressor kicks in and blows air with zero degrees of cooling. Since the last one was installed in December of 2016, there is a good chance I can get it swapped again under warranty.

At this point I have no faith in Dometic air conditioners. I understand they had problems when manufacturing was moved to China.

I am ready to go into my pocket and buy a brand that is hopefully made in the US.

Has anyone had a Dometic AC installed or purchased a new RV in the last year or so and if so what have been your experiences with the Dometic?
2018 F-250 Super Duty 6.2L 3.73
2015 Bullet Premier 30RIPR
Hensley Arrow
21 REPLIES 21

smiggleburger
Explorer
Explorer
At this point I will take advantage of the warranty and get it replaced for free.
Hensley Arrow

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
smiggleburger wrote:
I recently discovered that my third Dometic 15K BTU AC in three years has failed again. Just like the last two times, it powers up, the compressor kicks in and blows air with zero degrees of cooling. Since the last one was installed in December of 2016, there is a good chance I can get it swapped again under warranty.

At this point I have no faith in Dometic air conditioners. I understand they had problems when manufacturing was moved to China.

I am ready to go into my pocket and buy a brand that is hopefully made in the US.

Has anyone had a Dometic AC installed or purchased a new RV in the last year or so and if so what have been your experiences with the Dometic?

I would suggest that if you can get a free replacement then this would be the logical choice at this point. Once you are forced to go out of pocket (out of warranty) then you could consider your other options.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

smiggleburger
Explorer
Explorer
I called Dometic today and luckily the AC is under warranty for another six weeks. So it does have a TWO year warranty. Since I did not register the product they went off of the original ship date. Either way it works for me.
Hensley Arrow

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
So how many milliseconds does it take for that relay to open if you turn off the main breaker while itโ€™s running?

You need to get a life:) Doug

Couldnโ€™t respond as I was driving all day.

My question was going somewhere. When you remove ac from a motor or inductor, there is an inductive that can be quite high.

So if the relay opens, the inductive kick goes now where but if you throw the breaker the inductive kick back feeds through the relay and associated components will see the volts.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I Forgot, that the original sealed system failures from about 2014 -2016 on Dometic were caused by lack of corrosion inhibitor. So, Dometic is replacing units that failed, no matter how many times under the original Dometic warranty. Good News is, they do not have any of the other bad units so your next unit will have the corrosion inhibitor for sure. Also, Dometic warrants the AC for 2 years parts and labor to the original owner. They had a glitch in their system and I had a e mail from them a few years ago that stated one year and they had dropped the 2 year. They still have the 2 year. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Big Katuna wrote:
So how many milliseconds does it take for that relay to open if you turn off the main breaker while itโ€™s running?

You need to get a life:) Doug

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
When you break camp, do you turn it off at the thermostat or unplug the RV while itโ€™s running?

Sorry, but disconnecting 120 power or turning off the tstat does the EXACT SAME THING. When you turn off the tstat, the compressor relay on the control board opens and kills power to the Compressor. Disconnecting Shore power just bypasses opening the relay. Doug

As a retired HVAC/R tech, I'd have to agree with Doug here.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Big Katuna wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
When you break camp, do you turn it off at the thermostat or unplug the RV while itโ€™s running?

Explain why this would cause a major fault in the sealed system. Doug

I didnโ€™t read the sealed unit had failed. I used to turn off the breaker with both ACs running. I blew three PTCRโ€™s in one football season.

I asked my repair guy what the heck and he asked about my habits.

Never lost another cap or PTCR again.

Sorry, but disconnecting 120 power or turning off the tstat does the EXACT SAME THING. When you turn off the tstat, the compressor relay on the control board opens and kills power to the Compressor. Disconnecting Shore power just bypasses opening the relay. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
smiggleburger wrote:

Your warranty expired almost 1 year ago. Warranties only are viable for the duration of the ORIGINAL warranty date. You do not add on to the date the replacement was installed. But, you have a good case to get Dometic to step up and warranty this 3rd unit. You need to make sure you bring this up BEFORE the Service Center starts the warranty claim. They need to make sure Dometic understands, this is the 3rd AC in less than 2 years, so they need to proceed knowing the history of your RV. Doug

I am hoping since I am the "original purchaser" of the 2nd warranted unit, the warranty is still in effect for another two months.

WARRANTY PERIOD: This Warranty will be in effect for two (2) years from the date of purchase by the Original Purchaser. The Original Purchaser
should retain a copy of the dated bill of sale as evidence of the date of purchase.

This is where it will be interesting. Dometic failed to update their warranty(1 year) on some of the warranty cards and on line. Trust me, you have a 1 year warranty. They started this over 5 years ago, they went to a 1 year warranty. Doug

ken1961
Explorer
Explorer
We got to know them when the 1st replacement only lasted 15 min. The next lasted 2 days. The next unit was the wrong one. The next was damaged in shipment. The next blew its guts out and the last one has now lasted 3 years. Most problems were leaks which the mobile rep said he could fix but they would only replace the unit.
Ken

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:

Explain why this would cause a major fault in the sealed system. Doug

I didnโ€™t read the sealed unit had failed. I used to turn off the breaker with both ACs running. I blew three PTCRโ€™s in one football season.

I asked my repair guy what the heck and he asked about my habits.

Never lost another cap or PTCR again.

smiggleburger
Explorer
Explorer

Your warranty expired almost 1 year ago. Warranties only are viable for the duration of the ORIGINAL warranty date. You do not add on to the date the replacement was installed. But, you have a good case to get Dometic to step up and warranty this 3rd unit. You need to make sure you bring this up BEFORE the Service Center starts the warranty claim. They need to make sure Dometic understands, this is the 3rd AC in less than 2 years, so they need to proceed knowing the history of your RV. Doug

I am hoping since I am the "original purchaser" of the 2nd warranted unit, the warranty is still in effect for another two months.

WARRANTY PERIOD: This Warranty will be in effect for two (2) years from the date of purchase by the Original Purchaser. The Original Purchaser
should retain a copy of the dated bill of sale as evidence of the date of purchase.
Hensley Arrow

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:

What is the difference of the thermostat killing the power to the unit and unplugging the power source thereby killing power to the unit?

I see no difference but maybe I am wrong. Please explain.