cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

External Water Fresh water Tank

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
So I bought a property in SD, got my pad setup, got power to the site, but no well for water.

I thought I would get an external water tank, attach an on demand rv water pump and connect it with a hose to my RV.

This way I can get the external tank filled when low and not have to pay the cost for a well in the short term.

What do you think, good idea ?
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP
11 REPLIES 11

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
As far as the waste water is concerned I have an attachment that will hook up to the RV and septic tank truck or honey wagon so the waste water can be pulled out of the RV.
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Again, poster Valhalla 360 makes an even more critical question about wastewater. SD law prohibits discharging surface discharge of human wastewater. The issue is concentration of waste soils, even if you are the only ones exposed to it. SD law requires treatment
While the fresh water issue may be settled with a tank and pump a septic system is required or a pump out to one. Think the Q ( Quartzsite desert)

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
JCat wrote:
Thanks for the info, I actually found a guy who fill the tank once I get it set up.
Or I may buy a tank and trailer if there is a municipal water supply for free.

Friends in Montana have an old pickup bed converted to a trailer and a 350gal tank that they use to fill their cistern.

Parked it next to us when we stayed with them and we just used a submersable pump to fill the RV tank. After a week be barely made a dent into the big tank.

I think it costs them $5 to fill it up at the local fire station.

Bigger issue is what to do with waste water.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Also not uncommon in AZ. If I was doing what you propose, I would mount the tank so the bottom was slightly higher than the RV tank fill and let gravity fill the fresh tank.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the info, I actually found a guy who fill the tank once I get it set up.
Or I may buy a tank and trailer if there is a municipal water supply for free.
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Horse doc is right. The custer highlands west of Custer are dry, too many caves in the limestone you can't drill wells there so everyone hauls water from Newcastle or Custer even for livestock.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
corvettekent wrote:
I use a 40-gallon water tank mounted in the back of my truck and transfer water with a Harbor Freight 12-volt water transfer pump.

In your case I think that I would get a couple 55-gallon barrows.

Guess my assumption was that the OP would be spending significant time there, and in the summer. And heโ€™s prepping for long term use.
A couple โ€œbarrowsโ€ would get him started but heโ€™d need a way to haul water himself IE a truck and a couple more barrows. And would be getting more water very frequently.
Not to mention, summer use, hot sun and above ground storage tanks donโ€™t mix well. Best case theyโ€™re a significant maintenance task. He!! Even the dogs outdoor water buckets needs the green slime cleaned out every week or 2 in the summer.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed a couple of summers in Custer. Not uncommon at all to see locals with a big water tank in the back of their trucks. I am not sure if they were buying water for just filling up at the municipal supply. These were folks from the west side of the county near the Wyoming border. Not a lot of flowing water there.
Your idea is doable and actually works apparently.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I use a 40-gallon water tank mounted in the back of my truck and transfer water with a Harbor Freight 12-volt water transfer pump.

In your case I think that I would get a couple 55-gallon barrows.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well thatโ€™s about the only way rural folks with no well have running water. What would be your alternatives?
That said, presume you know what the nearby wells are doing (reviewed existing well logs before buying). If you have the likelihood of a low producing well, may as well (no pun intended) install your tank to serve as permanent water storage for the future when youโ€™ll need a storage tank.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know there are people around here who do it due to bad well water.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"