cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electrical Issue?

Davidlee64
Explorer
Explorer
In the past several days, some electrical issues have popped up. First, the CB for the micro had to be reset. The micro was not in use at the time. Then the ice maker stopped producing ice. I reset all the breakers and it started working again. Then yesterday I went to make some coffee and there was no power to the pot, so I started looking. Everything else was working normally. I determined the problem to be the wall outlet where the coffee pot was plugged in. It is one of those Wirecon WDR outlets. I found the wires loose on the inside. The voltage readings are all over the place. I can get new outlets, but the installation tool is the problem. The only price I can find is $450 for a tool I will most likely never use again is a bit too much. I don't like the methods shown to get around using the tool. There isn't enough room in the wall for a regular household outlet. Any ides where I could rent the tool? Or come up with another idea? Thanks
27 REPLIES 27

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
RLS7201 wrote:
OK, you stated one instance. And how do you know if they have come loose or not, unless you inspect those screws.
Richard

Well Richard. You answered you own question.. Yes I do inspect them from time to time.. I recently added a circuit to the breaker box (Kitchen 2) and checked all screws while I was there.. Not the only time I've had the box open.. Any time I'm in the box I check all screws... NONE have needed re-tightening once I snug 'em down.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
RLS7201 wrote:
While some are advocating screw down receptacles over stab locks or punch downs, because they think they stay tighter longer. How about all the loose screws in the RV circuit breaker panels. More posts about loose screws in circuit breaker panels than loose wires in receptacles. Just goes to prove that screws are not the final answer to electrical connection either.

Richard
Some folks (not you) just don't know a whole lot about residential vs RV (SCD) receptacles, the difference in connections and how to correctly terminate the wire and are quick to condemn RV receptacles.

Below is a standard side-wired & back-wired receptacle that is common in residential applications. Note the back-wired "quick-connect" connection and how there is simply a spring to hold the wire in place. No way in h*ll can someone convince me that those are better than the SCD receptacles in RVs which require a special tool that forces the wire into the "stabs". These quick-connect receptacle are known to be a problem in the industry, especially at the end of a circuit run that has many receptacles on it and has a high current draw on the last ones, like say a plug-in heater.

Some residential recepts. have a side-wired terminal where the wire is directly under the head of the screw. The correct procedure is to do a 180 degree wrap of the wire before tightening the screw down to get more surface area contact. Many people don't bother to take this important step or the wire is barely hanging on. With some recepts., you strip the wire and it gets clamped down like in the last photo. This is a better method.

Doesn't matter if it's a cheapo 99 cent receptacle, an RV receptacle or military grade one, the connection is only as good as the person installing it. They're all UL tested and listed. As most know, some of the workmanship in RVs ranges from poor to pathetic and that's the issue. I'll take an RV/SCD receptacle any time.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Re: loose screws in the breaker box.

When it takes 3 full turns and then some. on an RV that's only about 3 MONTHS old.. That is not "Crushing of the copper" that's just plain "Never tightened to begin with".

I know an RV Repair tech who says "When I tighten them they don't work loose"

You know what. She's not me. but When I tighten them they don't work loose.

I mean it's been 14 years since I tightened that 3 month old connection down and it's not come loose since..

OK, you stated one instance. And how do you know if they have come loose or not, unless you inspect those screws.
You don't seen to understand that copper under compression does collapse over time and needs to be retentioned. Where as punch downs or stab locks do indeed keep the required tension with their spring action. Again you can't deny the number of circuit breaker panel posts about loose screws vers loose wires in receptacles in RVs.
How can you deny the truth as stated by a professional (Doug) RV tech that the receptacles in RV are not an issue.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Re: loose screws in the breaker box.

When it takes 3 full turns and then some. on an RV that's only about 3 MONTHS old.. That is not "Crushing of the copper" that's just plain "Never tightened to begin with".

I know an RV Repair tech who says "When I tighten them they don't work loose"

You know what. She's not me. but When I tighten them they don't work loose.

I mean it's been 14 years since I tightened that 3 month old connection down and it's not come loose since..

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
While some are advocating screw down receptacles over stab locks or punch downs, because they think they stay tighter longer. How about all the loose screws in the RV circuit breaker panels. More posts about loose screws in circuit breaker panels than loose wires in receptacles. Just goes to prove that screws are not the final answer to electrical connection either.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
cavie wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
So much bad karma about stab lock receptacles used in MHs.
When installed properly they will maintain a tight connection longer than screw down receptacles. Check any screw down after 6-8 years and they will be loose because of the copper crushing.
The stab locks in my 95 Bounder are all original and do not heat when using the microwave, coffer maker, PD9180 converter, or the 1500 watt heater.

Richard

Very interesting. Why do you think The NEC chooses screw down over Stab locks. Enquiring minds want to know.

Which stab locks do you are you referencing?
The stab locks used in RVs or the stab locks used in sticks and bricks?
They are different.
Can you show us the code where the NEC chose the screw downs.
Also do you know the NEC is a NON Governmental entity and has NO punitive powers. The NECs suggestions must be adopted by others to be put in place.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The problem with the SCD type receptacles used in RVs and mobile homes isn't so much the recept. itself, it's improper punching down of the wires into the "stabs". There is a proper tool specifically for these but I've found at least of couple of SCD recepts. with wires only pushed down onto one of the two "stabs" as in the photo. One stab was bent to the side. They definitely didn't use the proper tool. No excuse for this.

Connecting to only one of the stabs means you will be doubling the amount of current going through a stab connection. SCDs go through very rigorous testing process to meet UL requirements and *should* not be an issue IF properly installed.

The bigger problem is that electrical in RVs never gets inspected by an AHJ for code compliance or workmanship.

SCD recepts are used in part because they are much shallower than an outlet box and thus fit into the thin walls RVs have. Recepts. in houses can also be back-wired where you can push in a stripped wire through a small hole which has spring loaded contacts inside. These can problematic sometimes. I'd take a properly installed SCD recept. any day over doing over a back-wired recept..

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Lantley,

I've NEVER had a household outlet fail in either home or RV nor did my parents. First RV was from 1954. This is anecdotal and not "proof". Total distance for the RV's is pushing 500,000 miles.

Unibox DAMHIK two failures in under six months.

Lantley wrote:

I'm neither an electrician nor an R service tech. The RV outlets have been in service for years and yes a small percentage have had issues. No different than your house outlets they are imperfect as well and a small percentage of those fail as well.
Converting to all house type outlets would not eliminate outlet failures. Outlets fail in stick and brick houses every day.
In the environment that RV are assembled a stab type assembly will be more fool proof in the long run vs. a screw terminal simply because they are easier to assemble and require less effort to make a stable connection.

I've had screw type outlets fail. Twice. In the same house. The first one, I replaced that outlet. The second one, I replaced every outlet in the house. (When the wall above the outlet is too hot to touch, it is a hint.)
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lantley,

I've NEVER had a household outlet fail in either home or RV nor did my parents. First RV was from 1954. This is anecdotal and not "proof". Total distance for the RV's is pushing 500,000 miles.

Unibox DAMHIK two failures in under six months.

Lantley wrote:

I'm neither an electrician nor an R service tech. The RV outlets have been in service for years and yes a small percentage have had issues. No different than your house outlets they are imperfect as well and a small percentage of those fail as well.
Converting to all house type outlets would not eliminate outlet failures. Outlets fail in stick and brick houses every day.
In the environment that RV are assembled a stab type assembly will be more fool proof in the long run vs. a screw terminal simply because they are easier to assemble and require less effort to make a stable connection.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
wa8yxm wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
They have used these receptacles in RV's for over 30 years or more. NO PROBLEMS.

Doug I do not like to argue but I PERSONALLY had a problem with one. My problem was minor (I smelled hot wire and quickly made changes)

Another RVer Posted photos of his.. Wires burned and plastic melted Fire hazard.. I'd rate it way higher than the famous fridge.

And There is a you tube video where an RV technician shows "Before and After" of this type of box.... Also very scary.

So there indeed have been problems. NOTE I am not an RV tech so I do not work on rigs. I've spoken to several RV techs and nearly all of 'em have Uni-Box Horror Stories to tell.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
They have used these receptacles in RV's for over 30 years or more. NO PROBLEMS.

Doug I do not like to argue but I PERSONALLY had a problem with one. My problem was minor (I smelled hot wire and quickly made changes)

Another RVer Posted photos of his.. Wires burned and plastic melted Fire hazard.. I'd rate it way higher than the famous fridge.

And There is a you tube video where an RV technician shows "Before and After" of this type of box.... Also very scary.

So there indeed have been problems. NOTE I am not an RV tech so I do not work on rigs. I've spoken to several RV techs and nearly all of 'em have Uni-Box Horror Stories to tell.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Seeing as fire is a bad thing in RV's, I'd suggest any high amperage devices ought to be plugged into an upgraded outlet. When I replaced mine, 20 amp outlets were used.

By the way, the only "good" OEM outlet was the one used for the Dometic microwave which draws 1561 watts (@ 120 volts)
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
This may not be considered as RV related but someone else brought up the subject, so her goes;

The NEC was and is the brain child of the INSURANCE INDUSTRY.

I do follow the NEC, but it is not a set of laws.

In reality most of the code is based on 110 percent of safe operation or function(or greater) of components and use.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
sorry. can't get rid of the double post.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.