cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dometic Awning LED strip very very dim.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
My 5th wheel is now 7 years old. The LED strip on the underside of awning has become very dim. All leds are lit just dim. Hard to look at wiring as it is buried inside trailer walls except for a few inches at the end of the led strip.

When trailer was new these lights were very bright. Is it common for led strips to become dimmer with age rather than individual leds completely fail?

New Dometic brand strip is $99 on Amazon but I see numerous odd brand strips for as little as $20. Any of the cheap strips good?
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)
4 REPLIES 4

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
#1Flyboy wrote:
Well We are just 2 of many people that prefer to sit and enjoy nature, night stars and the sounds of silence and those LED lights are still too bright for both of us!…Hope you turn them off, thank You….

Really?

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
#1Flyboy wrote:
Well We are just 2 of many people that prefer to sit and enjoy nature, night stars and the sounds of silence and those LED lights are still too bright for both of us!…Hope you turn them off, thank You….

I too enjoy nature. We spend most of our time outside the trailer. Very difficult to eat dinner when I cannot see food! Sure can use lanterns etc. but those have their own set of issues. If you enjoy the silence then camp further away from others where lights are not an issue!! Boondocking is awesome, far way from anyone.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer

Explorer II
Explorer II
mileshuff wrote:
Is it common for led strips to become dimmer with age rather than individual leds completely fail?
It's common for the material the LEDs are encased in to fade and become discolored with age. This can cause them to emit less light. Does your strip look old, cloudy and discolored compared to new?

The problem could be low voltage caused by a poor connection. You could measure the voltage across the two exposed wires. It should measure close to battery voltage.

New Dometic brand strip is $99 on Amazon but I see numerous odd brand strips for as little as $20. Any of the cheap strips good?
I recently installed THIS STRIP. They are encased in silicone, which should help prevent age discoloration. They were easy to install and look great, but maybe a bit too bright.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857