cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converter Issue

bjkb1f
Explorer
Explorer
EDIT - I've since found out I have a WFCO WF-8735 or 40 and I believe I have the info I need to test it. Thank you all!

Can anyone tell me where the converter is on a 2018 Coachmen Apex nano 193 BHS? Is it integrated into the breaker/fuse panel or is it somewhere else? I did a quick look around and didn't see it.

This weekend while camping, we lost 12V power and the battery drained while plugged in to shore power. Charged the battery and it's fine, but I'm guessing it will drain again as the converter doesn't seem to be charging it. So, I'm guessing it's a converter issue. I'd like to see if a fuse blew on it or what. All fuses/breakers on the panel are OK, but don't most converters have an additional fuse on them?

I didn't have time to look too thoroughly, but I hope to this weekend. So, can anyone tell me where the converter is as well as if this make/model has a fuse or breaker somewhere between the battery and converter? There is a fuse right by the battery, which I replaced. Should I be looking elsewhere?

Any other thoughts on what the issue could be? I'd like to try to fix this myself. My TT is under warranty but the dealer I bought it from is 2.5 hours away and I'd rather not have to take it to them.

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm to install this unit

Vendor has other options

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a high probability that it is a unitized design like the one pictured above. The converter itself is the electronics in the bottom, back. It is most likely powered by a connection to a 120 volt circuit breaker. Some will share it with another circuit--in my last trailer, it used a dedicated breaker. There are two 30 or 40 amp fuses in the battery line between the converter and the batteries--they should protect against reverse polarity situations. The biggest issue is the WFCO converters are junk and almost universally used. DO NOT REPLACE WFCO with WFCO. Even when the work, they ruin batteries. My sons and I have had WFCO converters fail in 4 out of 5 trailers--I'm sure the 5th is on the way. They should be replaced b other, better, brands such as Progressive Dynamics or BoonDocker. Check out BestConverter.com--they are good with advice. The unitized design like shown above has 12 volts and 120 volts inside, so only mess with it if you are comfortable with electricity.

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Spridle wrote:
Some converters are all in one like this one in this link
WFCO converter

Looks like it is pretty reasonably priced.

I have replaced DC output fuses on a couple of converters.

One style had separate power supply and fuse/breaker panel. On this one the fuses were right next to the DC power connection on the outside of the power supply box.

The other was an all in one similar to the one in the post above. On this one I had to remove the front panel from the converter to access the fuses for the DC main.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

Spridle
Explorer
Explorer
Some converters are all in one like this one in this link
WFCO converter

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Usually the fuses are on the front of the converter. Check your main fuses.

I had an older hybrid from 2002 with a single stage charger. I replaced it for less than $200 for a four stage charger. Much better.

rhochnadel
Explorer
Explorer
Convertor is within 6' of the panel , probably in a bay area near the furnace. Convertors are expensive, let the dealer fix the problem
'05 Keystone Challenger TPK
'01 Chev 2500HD Duramax/Allison
Corgi "Pippin" & cat "Sundance":)