cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converter, is it working

scottsnider
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a new HiLo trailer and not sure if the converter is working, is there a way to tell and with out using any fancy equipment (I don't have any). Is there a place to turn it on?
21 REPLIES 21

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Many of us prefer to DIY. Shops are notoriously slow and often expensive. I've had good but EXPENSIVE service. For example $154 for an oil change--when I provided the oil.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

scottsnider
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your post, I got the trailer from a PP not a dealer and he used it just to sleep in while doing a house remodel. I will take the trailer in for a new awning soon and have them check it out and go from there. This is a 2004 trailer so its possible that converter is shot, I did not check the fuse yet (dumb me) for not checking that first. After the shop checks it our I will post what is known and what is the next step, again thank you all for your help.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
YOu just described a failed converter,
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
scottsnider wrote:
Thank you all for your help, as for the meeter I honestly don't know what to put it on. When it comes to electricity it either works or don't, I don't like getting shocked and have. Ok when I hooked up the trailer at home to 110 the Refrigerator works and the hydraulics (HiLo trailer) but the lights barely came on, and that is with the battery connected. I got a battery maintainer and all is good and bright (lights), that is why I wonder if the converter is working???????
Best to have someone look at the issue.

If you post the converter model number we could suggest a better replacement to ask your service technician to install. Do not get a WFCO.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems the converter is not working. Best to go back to the dealer to get them to show you how it all works to get it going again. Then you can do it yourself next time.

If not possible to do that, just know that the converter is with the power centre where the 120v breakers are and the 12v fuse panel is. The converter is on one of those breakers. Snap on and off.

(First make sure the other 120v things in the RV work except for the converter of course)

You could have the reverse polarity (RP) fuses on the converter or on the nearby fuse panel blown. When the dealer put the battery in for you to take the rig home, he could have wired it backwards first time, then wired it back properly so now everything 12v works on battery, but the converter needs new RP fuses.

The "battery disconnect switch" and the "battery fuse" are ok from the evidence that you are getting 12v into the rig.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

scottsnider
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your help, as for the meeter I honestly don't know what to put it on. When it comes to electricity it either works or don't, I don't like getting shocked and have. Ok when I hooked up the trailer at home to 110 the Refrigerator works and the hydraulics (HiLo trailer) but the lights barely came on, and that is with the battery connected. I got a battery maintainer and all is good and bright (lights), that is why I wonder if the converter is working???????

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Converter runs full time as long as you have the main cord plugged into a power source. If you have a battery switch you should move it to the in-use or on position.

You can just assume the converter works until it obviously does not. Or you can get a basic voltmeter and know that it works.

The 12 Volt Side of Life

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
There is a 15 amp 120 volt breaker feeding the converter. There are 2 "Reverse polarity fuses on the conveeter protecting the battery. there iS 12 VOLT INLINE FUSE WITHIN 6" OF THE BATTERY.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
If your RV has a batt meter in a monitor panel, it will show if the converter is working.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
Flip the 120 breaker for the converter, plug everything in make sure the 120 stuff works, then put an volt meter on the 12v fuses and see if you get 12v, use the converter body for ground and the fuses for 12v. Flip breaker and take the same measurement. Our converter went out and was putting out low voltage , only figured it out after buying a refrigerator board I didnโ€™t need, I have the meter plugged into the 12v side and the more 12v things I turned on the lower the voltage went. Best converter.con fixed that for us
Winnebago Access 24V

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Just had issues with mine. It would not charge the battery but the slides and lights worked. I just replaced it with the Progressive Dymanics 9260. Its not hard to do yourself if you have decent access to it. Its usually located behind the breaker/fuse panel. I had to remove my distribution panel to access the converter so you may have to also. Youtube has lots of videos on how to do it.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two sets of instructions

With most modern converters you can hook a digital voltmeter to the battery before you plug in and then plug in and compare the before/after voltages.

Or you can turn on lights/or a 12 volt fan (Fantastic fan is great) while someone else plugs in.. If it's working you will see the light brighten or the fan speed up.

NOW: there are some older converters like the Old Magnetek 6300.. it's actually two units and one can work while the other fails. One runs lights and fans. the other charges the battery a Relay joins them if you are not plugged in. This one is harder to check and I recommend an upgrade (Progressive Dynamics 4600 replacment for the electronic part of the unit) in any case (or a 9200 if it's a stand alone box)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Turn on a light.

Plug into shore power.

Did the light get brighter? If so, the converter is working.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
One way is with the RV on battery, no shore power, turn on some lights. Now plug in shore power. If the converter is working the lights should go brighter.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.