Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Closing AC Vents

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

When I cut the AC on, every vent seems to vary in the amount of air coming out. Some of the farther vents have more air coming out of the closer vents to the unit. Naturally if I close some of the vents not in use (above the loft beds in the up position and restroom) the air will increase in the vents I would prefer to use. Someone mentioned to me that if I do that it might cause my AC unit to freeze. Is this true?

My AC is 15K with a dump vent in a 2018 28SAG Eclipse Attitude 5th wheel toy hauler.

Thanks,
JL
A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.
10 REPLIES 10

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
adding more vents is relatively easy. most ductwork is a rectangular plenum running most of the length of the trailer from the front and back AC vents.

so, if you remove a vent, you can likely see what the run looks like, and if you have two vents in a row, that shows where the duct is, and at the last vent run a fish tape to see how much further it goes. likely the length of the trailer.

then just either cut a hole for a vent or if you want to be real neat, get a large hole saw of the diameter needed.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the tip

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
adding more vents is relatively easy. most ductwork is a rectangular plenum running most of the length of the trailer from the front and back AC vents.

so, if you remove a vent, you can likely see what the run looks like, and if you have two vents in a row, that shows where the duct is, and at the last vent run a fish tape to see how much further it goes. likely the length of the trailer.

then just either cut a hole for a vent or if you want to be real neat, get a large hole saw of the diameter needed.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
judelaurenzo25g wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
rather than blocking vents, replace the vents you have with vents that you can change airflow and airflow direction.

aireport vents are the ones I used.

https://www.amazon.com/5840BTW-Bright-White-Aireport-Conditioner/dp/B004P1WTVI/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1499979092&sr=1-7&keywords=ac+ceiling+vent

I guess my subject line wasn't thought out very well... These are the exact vents covers I was looking at. So I can cut the air off when I want in 3 spots.

Did you used to use them to cut off the air flow? Did your AC ever freeze over?

Thanks,
JL

use them all the time to either cut off ac to the bedroom or living area. never had an issue.

but I also added more vents in the ductwork so I still always have at least the original number of vents open. I added two more in the bedroom, 1 in the bathroom and 2 more in the living area in addition to the original vents. then replaced all of them with aireport vents.

adding more vents helps as well.

Adding more vents is a whole other monster. I'll google it or youtube it, see what I find.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
judelaurenzo25g wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
rather than blocking vents, replace the vents you have with vents that you can change airflow and airflow direction.

https://www.amazon.com/5840BTW-Bright-White-Aireport-Conditioner/dp/B004P1WTVI/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1499979092&sr=1-7&keywords=ac+ceiling+vent

I guess my subject line wasn't thought out very well... These are the exact vents covers I was looking at. So I can cut the air off when I want in 3 spots.

Thanks,
JL

use them all the time to either cut off ac to the bedroom or living area. never had an issue.

but I also added more vents in the ductwork so I still always have at least the original number of vents open. I added two more in the bedroom, 1 in the bathroom and 2 more in the living area in addition to the original vents. then replaced all of them with aireport vents.

adding more vents helps as well.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
If air flow is restricted too much then yes the air conditioner can freeze up. Of course that depends on more than just one factor.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
judelaurenzo25g wrote:
Hi All,

When I cut the AC on, every vent seems to vary in the amount of air coming out. Some of the farther vents have more air coming out of the closer vents to the unit. Naturally if I close some of the vents not in use (above the loft beds in the up position and restroom) the air will increase in the vents I would prefer to use. Someone mentioned to me that if I do that it might cause my AC unit to freeze. Is this true?

My AC is 15K with a dump vent in a 2018 28SAG Eclipse Attitude 5th wheel toy hauler.

Thanks,
JL

Each particular A/C has very specific requirements on ducting and vents even down to number (both min and max) in each duct and on what sides, etc. These specs are to ensure your evap won't freeze up and/or the units output is a designed. While you won't ruin anything IMO you could make things worse by closing off too many vents. I went the opposite way and installed more vents so that I could close off an area and still have the specificed vents and areas open. You're lucky you have the "dump" option since that is not on every ducted system.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
rather than blocking vents,

He did NOT say he was "blocking" anything.
He did say that he was proposing to "close" some vents.

And NO if you don't close off too many of them it won't hurt a thing.
That is why the vent are made to be adjustable.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:

Thanks,
JL

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I placed duct tape on the inside of the vents closing them off to various degrees. Did this 3 years ago and no issues yet
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer