cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Champion 2k in storage for three years. Advice starting it?

qwerty1111
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys. My Champion 2k has been sitting in storage for three years or so. It has gas in the tank and likely gas in the carb. I haven't tried to start it yet. Before I do, I'd like your advice on what I may want to do before I try to pull the cord?
20 REPLIES 20

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
qwerty1111 wrote:
I drained the tank and refilled it with fresh fuel + sea foam. The only way it would run was when I was spraying carb cleaner in the intake. What do you guys recommend I do next?

First thing I would check is the fuel pick-up orifices. I've seen these get clogged up from sitting. Carborators differ in design but somewhere in the parts that go down into the bowl there are small holes that fuel is drawn up into the carb through. I've seen them in the bolt that goes up from the bottom to hold the bowl on. Two small holes in the side of that bolt go to a hole drilled down the middle. A paper clip will do the job or any other metal object that will fit in the hole.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
my champ 2K had a fuel shut off and also a carb drain.

I would checkey checkey for a fuel shut off being close and then open the carb drain and see what runs out.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I have sworn off ethanol gas in all my small engines, no carburetor problems in years!

Shelf life on ethanol gas is claimed 60 days, non ethanol 1 year claimed.

With the Honda generators when traveling I do not go out of the way looking for non ethanol, but run ethanol. The last tank is always non ethanol and run dry!

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
qwerty1111 wrote:
I drained the tank and refilled it with fresh fuel + sea foam. The only way it would run was when I was spraying carb cleaner in the intake. What do you guys recommend I do next?

Buy a new carb 20-25 bucks, check fuel lines while changing. I have done a carb kit on a Mantis tiller, new carb was a few dollars more and it worked.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
Is the carb bowl filling with gas? If not make sure if it has a on -off valve it's on and gas is flowing through the valve - if so needle could be stuck to the seat. If bowl is full then time to pull and clean maybe at that time a rebuild kit or new replacement carb.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

qwerty1111
Explorer
Explorer

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse wrote:
Always use premium "top tier" gas. One of my small engine machines sat for two years and still started without drain gas or other measures.

That's the key. No ethanol in small motors that sit. Fuel stabilizer helps as well.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Smell the fuel to see if it still resembles fresh gasohol smell. If it smells โ€œoldโ€ drain the carb and tank and put in fresh gas.

If the gas smells reasonable, or you have drained and refilled give it a whirl.

If it starts and runs but has a case of the sniffles, Sea Foam fuel treatment generously administered to the fresh gas you put in the tank can rescue the situation by clearing deposits in the carb.

Warm him up and then let it work on a load like an electric heater. Remove the load so it idles down running on the idle jet which is smaller, out the load back on, do this a few times till it smooths out then let it work until it has burned a gallon of the treated gas or more.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
If not too late remove the spark plug and pour in a tiny bit of motor oil. Pull the starter slowly to coat the walls.

Like others said drain fuel tank and if easy drain the carb. If it runs on starting fluid or brake cleaner but dies instantly then clean the carb. Or if it looks simple just clean the carb now. It might run but not at full potential if you have a partial blockage.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
drain the fuel, I would not take the chance of pumping that goo threw my system , mix up some fuel and sea foam put in the tank then try starting.

This answer
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Always use premium "top tier" gas. One of my small engine machines sat for two years and still started without drain gas or other measures.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I would have already done it timetorol's way.

BTW my D 15 has not been run for a year. Gonna try to crank her up today. Think I should roll it around in the barn first? ๐Ÿ˜‰

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
drain the fuel, I would not take the chance of pumping that goo threw my system , mix up some fuel and sea foam put in the tank then try starting.