cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery switch

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Should the battery switch be left on while your are RVing and only turned off when you put your trailer into storage???
15 REPLIES 15

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
pianotuna wrote:
Steve,

Usually solar is direct connected to the battery bank.

ya I suspect it is, I didnt install it on the 5th, but they way they installed some of the other stuff makes me wonder. this spring I am going to take off pannels and try trace it and see exactly how they did it and if they put any disconects on the pannel side of the controler.

still for some one who leave there rv pluged in when ever they are not using it a disconect switch is useless as it doesnt disconect everything, and if you don't leave it pluged in you shoould be thinking about takeing the bateries out anyways depending how cold your winters are.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
pianotuna wrote:
Steve,

Mine also. I use the disconnect switch in storage and my solar still charges the batts.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
Wrong, the battery switch has nothing to do with trailer brakes. Trailer brakes are not wired through the switch.

Mine are.

X2

Since a trailer breakaway system has no fuse and some batteries are hard to access, I wire the battery disconnect to shut off everything quickly. Ask yourself how you might shut down power when the wires are smoking. I don't care what others repeat about the "proper" way to do things.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
Wrong, the battery switch has nothing to do with trailer brakes. Trailer brakes are not wired through the switch.

Mine are.

X2

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Steve,

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
i call it the useless switch, all it does is mislead people into thinking there batteries wont drail while they are in storage. personaly mine has never been turned off because I am not sure how they ran the solar on my 5th and I dont want to risk disconecting the battery with out disconecting the pannels first.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Retired JSO wrote:

He could be right but I doubt it.. The trailer breakaway should be wired hot at all times even when the coach battery switch is off, just like smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. When stored, a battery terminal should be disconnected to kill all power.

In my class C the hard wired smoke detector is switched by the main disconnect. The CO monitor has it's own 9 volt battery.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
way2roll wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
It ought to be called a storage switch.

This. Not sure how misleading terms like "salseman switch" get coined. It's a battery disconnect to prevent your batteries from being discharged when you aren't using the RV. If you are using it , you need your batteries. As far as if you need them while towing, the answer is, it depends. Example, if you have a residential refrigerator and want to keep it cold and running on the inverter, then it needs to be in use/connected mode. If your brakes or anything that needs to be working is dependent on batteries while you are towing then the batteries need to be on. So it depends on your specific trailer and your needs. Some will charge while towing from the tow vehicle and need to be connected to do so. Lots of variables.

And not all disconnect switches truly disconnect. I had a Class A once that the batts would drain even when disconnected. Obviously some phantom draw. As stated, the best method for long term storage is to physically disconnect a terminal.

It got called a Salesmen Switch by some yahoo on an RV forum. They saw the Salesman turn the switch ON when they looked at the RV and then OFF when they walked out of the RV. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SALESMEN:B Then others started calling it a Salesmen switch. AS to using the Disconnect for storage, It all depends on the OEM. Some wire all 12 volts thru the disconnect(except trailer brake away). Almost ALL wire the 12 volt tongue Jack straight to the battery, which means if you leave the Tongue jack light ON(if yours has one) it will drain the battery. Some wire the CO and LP detector direct bypassing the Disconnect. It is BEST to just disconnect the negative cable from the battery for long term storage.
IF YOUR TRAILER BRAKES ARE WIRED THRU THE DISCONNECT, IT IS WIRED WRONG. THE BREAK AWAY SYSTEM MUST BE WIRED DIRECT TO THE TRAILER BATTERY. Doug

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
pianotuna wrote:

This. Not sure how misleading terms like "salseman switch" get coined. It's a battery disconnect to prevent your batteries from being discharged when you aren't using the RV. If you are using it , you need your batteries. As far as if you need them while towing, the answer is, it depends. Example, if you have a residential refrigerator and want to keep it cold and running on the inverter, then it needs to be in use/connected mode. If your brakes or anything that needs to be working is dependent on batteries while you are towing then the batteries need to be on. So it depends on your specific trailer and your needs. Some will charge while towing from the tow vehicle and need to be connected to do so. Lots of variables.

And not all disconnect switches truly disconnect. I had a Class A once that the batts would drain even when disconnected. Obviously some phantom draw. As stated, the best method for long term storage is to physically disconnect a terminal.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
azdryheat wrote:

Mine are.

He could be right but I doubt it.. The trailer breakaway should be wired hot at all times even when the coach battery switch is off, just like smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. When stored, a battery terminal should be disconnected to kill all power.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:

Mine are.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Closed (connected) when in use
Open (disconnected) when stored

I know the switch says off/on, but that is inaccurate nomenclature.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE