cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery or no battery????????

BobaFett
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Jayco Hummingbird 17MBS. I realized that every campground we want to stay has full hookup. (Power, Water, Sewer). So im curious....do I HAVE TO HAVE a battery? We do not plug in to shore power a few days ahead to get the fridge going. Even in 100 degrees, the camper is so small that it only takes a few minutes to run the A/C to get the inside temp comfortable. Is there something i am not considering?
26 REPLIES 26

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
My rack and pinion slide draws about 12 amps from the 12 volt system. Doubt the 35 amp converter even blinks. Hydraulic might be different.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Terryallan wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
1. WHY would anybody NOT utilize Trailer Brakes and the break a way system regardless of the law??????????????
2. Always install a battery, It helps keep the Power Converter from working too hard as it helps regulate the Converter output. Doug

This thread the Jayco does not have a slide, but most RV's with slide rooms will not operate the slides without a battery installed. Some will, but it puts a strain on the Converter.

Mine will, and the AC, and the fridge, and the WH. As for the converter. Runs all the time anyway.

ALL Converters run all the time(when 120 is too the RV). It just depends on how HARD it works depending on the DC load asked of it. We have had to replace Burnt out Converters in Show Units caused by running the various items 24/5 in a show and utilizing the Converter to power the slides. Because of Show restrictions that regulate having batteries connected(you must disconnect some batteries) , we just had to hope that this load does not burn out a Converter. Since most Trailers do NOT come from the OEM with a battery, we do not install a battery for the show units. We wait until it is sold, then install a new battery. One exception, is Airstream trailers. They come with a battery from Airstream. Doug

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
1. WHY would anybody NOT utilize Trailer Brakes and the break a way system regardless of the law??????????????
2. Always install a battery, It helps keep the Power Converter from working too hard as it helps regulate the Converter output. Doug

This thread the Jayco does not have a slide, but most RV's with slide rooms will not operate the slides without a battery installed. Some will, but it puts a strain on the Converter.

Mine will, and the AC, and the fridge, and the WH. As for the converter. Runs all the time anyway.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
As you can see, it all depends on the circumstances. There are other states that have limited requirements on towing Trailers and brakes. I just listed some that were part of this discussion. Doug

MASSACHUSETTS
Every trailer having an unladed weight of more than 10,000 lbs. shall be equipped with air or electric brakes.

note that it is 10,000 lbs

OREGON
Independent braking system not required, but combination of vehicles must be able to stop within legal limits. Every motor vehicle and combination of motor vehicles, except motorcycles and mopeds, shall at all times be equipped with a parking brake system.

TEXAS
A trailer or pole trailer is required to have brakes if its gross weight exceeds 4,500 lbs. A trailer with a gross weight between 4,500 lbs. and 15,000 lbs. is not required to have brakes if it is towed at a speed of not more than 30 mph.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whatever the law is wrt whether a trailer needs its own brakes for its weight, don't forget the limits on the truck's brakes. My 2003 Chev 2500HD says not to tow a trailer over 2,000 lbs unless it has its own brakes.

I don't know about other trucks, but I imagine a lighter, smaller truck or a heavier dually would have a different figure less or more than that 2,000.

It's not just about breakaways or stopping distance. There is also pushing or jack-knifing. The trailer is supposed to brake smoothly just before the truck does.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Thank you @wnjj, for correcting me. You are correct. The OP does not need functional trailer brakes on that trailer in Massachusetts. All adjoining states do, however, require them. So, permit me to modify my claim: almost all states . . . .

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
wnjj wrote:
Not required in Oregon. In fact trailer brakes arenโ€™t even required but you must be able to stop from 20 mph in 35 feet.
How does the OP get from MA to OR?

What does that have to do with my comment? A claim was made that itโ€™s required by law in every state. I posted to the contrary and it may or may not be needed where the OP intends to travel. Just posting the facts.

A little checking indicates that brakes arenโ€™t required in MA either unless the trailer is over 10k lbs.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
wnjj wrote:
Not required in Oregon. In fact trailer brakes arenโ€™t even required but you must be able to stop from 20 mph in 35 feet.
How does the OP get from MA to OR?

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
naturist wrote:
time2roll wrote:
State law requires an emergency breakaway braking system and this system requires a battery.

Battery will also supply 12 volts to the fridge and other controls while stopped en route or in process of setting up or leaving camp.

Battery will provide some functions if the utility power goes out.

Bingo! Required by law in every state in the US and probably Canada as well.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fact is. EVERY camper / RV I have owned in the last 35 years works just fine with out a battery. the water heater will work, the fridge will work, the lights will work, the slide will go out, and in. As long as you are hooked to shore power. Not sure yours will. Unhook the battery, plug in, and see what will work, and what won't I'm bettin everything will

Having said that, Yes you need a battery for your breakaway brakes. And you need a battery if you want to run the Fridge on the road.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Some reading is in order for you. If your TT breaks away from your tow vehicle, how will your ELECTRIC trailer brakes work when you don't have a battery?

You stay in full hookup sites. What if the power goes out? Or you find an absolutely beautiful dry campsite? โ€œSorry kids?โ€
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Short answer is YES you do...

Longer answer: How heavy is it> DOES it have brakes on the trailer. IF it has brakes on the trailer then by law you MUST have an emergency break-away method of stopping the think if it shoud depart your tow vehicle on the freeway.

THIS IS WHAT THE BATTERY DOES.. Powers the brakes when the plug is pulled.

Others have also commented about the 2-way fridge.. Needs power to operate the controls.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
State law requires an emergency breakaway braking system and this system requires a battery.

Battery will also supply 12 volts to the fridge and other controls while stopped en route or in process of setting up or leaving camp.

Battery will provide some functions if the utility power goes out.

Bingo! Required by law in every state in the US and probably Canada as well.