cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery monitor that connects to wifi

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know of a battery monitor like my Xantrex Linklite that will connect to Wifi? I know Victron has bluetooth shunts and monitors but i see no WiFi.
22 REPLIES 22

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
RV Whisper.com
Suggest you give them a look - Amazon has them in stock
Only a few drawbacks from my perspective
DHCP only, no static IP address capability
2.4Ghz only, no 5Ghz operation
Not sure how software updates are accomplished
Several Temperature, Humidity, Battery, etc. monitoring options available
Including integration with a shunt based Battery monitoring system
Reminds me of the Trimetric battery monitoring stuff early in it's development

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Still on the OP topic, rather than create a new thread I will ask this here
Has anyone had experience with this company?
Good bad or indifferent would like to know
https://rvwhisper.com/
Looks like a good possibility for remote WiFi monitoring
I emailed them regarding my isolated LAN no internet requirements
Waiting for a response

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Time to look at what the grid tied folks are doing?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bdosborn
Explorer
Explorer
Almost forgot about Electrodacus SBMS0 BMS, it will connect to WiFi and doesn't require an internet connection. BUT, it's back-ordered till April. Stupid pandemic.

https://www.electrodacus.com/

Bruce
2010 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
Custom Frame, Poptop, AC, Espar Diesel Furnace, HW Heater, Sink, Shower, 12V-120V, LED Lights, TV and XM Radio, DVD Player, 300W PV Panels, PD 9140 Charger, Tongue Box, Filon Exterior, 1000W Generator, Patient Wife
Boxcar Build

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
My Alpenlite is always plugged in and sits around 150 feet from my house. I have a converted Tesla model S battery that has replaced my four FLA batteries. I like to keep tabs on what the battery is doing. I have 1250 watts of solar charging and rarely does the Xantrex charger/inverter ever have to kick in. I have no problem whether the info goes on the web though I do understand others who feel otherwise. Anyway, thatโ€™s why I would like to be able to verify state of charge from my house. Essentially, Iโ€™m lazy.

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Good to see that we finally have "use case" question

Looking forward to seeing the OP response to this question
Very aware we all have different uses and needs

Mine - My RV sits about a 1,500ft from my home office in a heated powered Barn with a solid WiFi connection. I currently monitor and adjust the storage temperature and humidity with a nice Radio Thermostat. My desire is to monitor both the LiFe and FLA batteries in the rig while in my home office. It's PIA to walk to the barn in sub zero temps and 10" of ice and snow on the ground. This LAN connection is local only as in an isolated LAN without an Internet connection. Yes I am very security conscious. No Cloud services here! None of the 100 plus IP cameras we have here ever see the internet. MAC blocking works great on a quality router.

The Trimetric "station" mode solution looked interesting until it required the 2030 model - mine is the 2025 which in NOT compatible. Not sure if it requires a login and cloud service, assume it does.

The Victron solution requires an internet cloud login - no way will it function with an isolated LAN.

The Rasberry Pi system is a strong possibility

Looking forward to a cleaner solution, but not holding my breath

FWC
Explorer
Explorer
What is the use scenario you are looking for that you need Wifi? Broadcasting the data to the web so you can read it from anywhere? Reading the data on a local device?

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
howardwheeler wrote:
If your Trimetric reads amphours (BFL 13) then it has the same functionality as my LinkLite. I believe Iโ€™ll go for that.

AH is the whole point of the thing IMO. I don't have the newer 2030 that has that matching solar controller you can get with it, and the 2025 has no wifi.

Years ago I got some help from Trimetric tech support which was very helpful. Might be a good idea to call them about the wifi aspect for whichever model it is now. They could have some tips on that.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
If your Trimetric reads amphours (BFL 13) then it has the same functionality as my LinkLite. I believe Iโ€™ll go for that.

bdosborn
Explorer
Explorer
KJINTF wrote:
I had high hopes for this solution it looked great. To bad the only compatible Raspberry Pi 3 B+ version is not available any more or at least any where I can find it. I see the 4 version is not compatible and way more expensive.

The Raspberry 4 with 2GB of memory is $45. Unfortunately, they are on back order till March.

Pi Linky

I'd place an order now if you want one. I was going to buy a Pi 4 after the last back order but they sell out quick once they are released and I missed it.

Bruce
Custom Frame, Poptop, AC, Espar Diesel Furnace, HW Heater, Sink, Shower, 12V-120V, LED Lights, TV and XM Radio, DVD Player, 300W PV Panels, PD 9140 Charger, Tongue Box, Filon Exterior, 1000W Generator, Patient Wife
Boxcar Build

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
howardwheeler wrote:
The trimetric might work but I notice it doesnโ€™t seem to read anything in amphours like my Linklite. My LinkLite gives volts amps in and out at a given time and amp hours used over time or put in over time. Am I missing something?

My Trimetric 2025 reads amp hours. There are reset options. One is disable auto- reset if you have solar--explains in the manual.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
I had high hopes for this solution it looked great. To bad the only compatible Raspberry Pi 3 B+ version is not available any more or at least any where I can find it. I see the 4 version is not compatible and way more expensive.

bdosborn
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, looks like it went up from when I bought them:
Amazon Linky

Bruce
Boxcar Build

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce
Thanks for the info - Looks and sounds like a possible solution
Is the cable you are referencing the VE Bus to USB cable?
I have the Victron Bluetooth Smart Shunt
Busy today but will look into it tomorrow first thing
Thanks again