cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atwood water heater circuit board meltdown

301TBS
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Atwood G6A 8E gas only water heater. We are starting a 2week holiday and have no hot water. Upon inspection I can see and smell the melted circuit board.
Any ideas why this might have happened before I replace the board?
Thanks
2019 Springdale 240BH
2009 F150 Scab 4x4, 4.6, 3v. 6spd. 3.73/9.75
Reese dual cam
7 REPLIES 7

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
well, I'll tell you how a friends new trailer roasted the controller on his water heater. The factory wired the 12V relay switch for the 120V element directly to 120V. He had been using only propane, but this weekend hit the electric element in the AM, and put 120V on the board, smoke rolling out of the water heater and the puny 16ga 12V wiring. fried the WH controller board at the least.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A circuit has to "fault" low impedance for a fuse to open. If resistance remains high or open circuit the fuse for the circuit will continue to (be able to) pass current. I have seen various electronic boards catch fire because of unrelated outside ignition and burn the logic circuit to a pulp leaving the power side with fuse intact.

Any place that uses a controlled gas flame has a potential to become unstable. If flammable material sees the flame, then problems galore. Refrigerators and water heaters need to be inspected and serviced before they can damage themselves or thir surroundings.

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

301TBS
Explorer
Explorer
Don't think it was voltage spike, as I have a Progressive Dynamics EMS hard wired since day 1. It is supposed to protect againt over/under voltage. And all other electronic's are ok, 2 tv's, laptop,stereo,micro etc.
I am having trouble understanding why a fuse didn't blow as well. I removed the module today, and it has an area the size of a pencil melted out and bubled up on the back side.
Also no indication of flame out. The thermal fuse is intact and the plastic sleeve is ok.
Thanks for the replies.
2019 Springdale 240BH
2009 F150 Scab 4x4, 4.6, 3v. 6spd. 3.73/9.75
Reese dual cam

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
X2

Difficult to believe an electrical probkem did not fail a fuse.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
There is a Thermal FLAME fuse by the Burner tube. That is there in case you have a Blockage(insect nest) IN THE burner flue that will cause a Flashback Flame. When that happens it may indeed melt the Circuit board and then melt that Thermal fuse. Completely check the Burner flue for blockage as that is the ONLY thing that usually causes your type problem. Doug

Diesel_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Could have been a power spike or it could have just cooked on its own. Sorry to hear about this on your trip.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/172098009406

Maybe they can overnight this to ya.