cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any experience with GM rear view camera ?

ccjack
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 and am using it to tow our RV travel trailer. I would like to add a rear view camera on the back of my trailer that will project on the infotainment screen. With my previous truck I was using a Furrion aftermarket camera on the RV, but that requires its own monitor which isn't that good. My local GM dealer indicates the rear camera from GM is on backorder and it is also limited by its 35 foot cable. My trailer is about 29 feet and I think 35 will not be quite enough. A few questions: 1) is an extension cable available / possible if I buy the GM camera, 2) are there off brand cameras available that may have a longer cable?

thank you.
4 REPLIES 4

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I have the GM accy camera system on my 2015.5 duramax. The rear wireless camera was pretty iffy at the back of my 35ft trailer, but the wired camera worked fine.

The newer system should be much better based on reviews I've seen. Now one spec that I saw said that the feature to "remove" the trailer from the rear view (make the trailer disappear) would only work with trailers less than 35ft overall. that may be where the 35ft came from.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ccjack
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you both for the reply.

Yes, the connection plug is located above the 7 way connector near the truck hitch. So 35 feet will be close.

I certainly hope the cable is 60 feet, it makes much more sense. I was getting the 35 feet from a GMC dealer parts department, but they were going off of their personal experience with their own purchase a few years ago. I tried looking at the GM part on GM part websites (I am not sure if those websites are GM sites, but they sell original OEM parts ??) - anyway I could not see a cable length listed.

My truck is the new 2022 and not the limited 2022. So it has a completely new user interface and larger screen, etc. So far I am very impressed with the camera controls on the screen for existing cameras on the truck, I really want the backup trailer camera on the same interface.

thanks again.

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
ccjack,

You should confirm the length of the cable before abandoning the OEM camera. When I picked up my '22 SLE in March (in Canada), I thought it was 60 feet.

Actually just checked GM Accessories page and it quoted 60 feet.

Maybe visit the parts department at the dealer to confirm.

And also confirm if the OEM camera is compatible with your truck. When I ordered mine, I was told by the sales guy and the sales manager that the camera definitely would work with my system. I found out after the truck arrived that was not so. Find someone who actually knows about the camera.

Marv

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
No real experience with the camera but I think the plug in is located with the 7 way so you might be OK with the length depending on how you route the wire.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A