cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air Bags for Truck Campers

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III

I’ve read that air bags should. not be installed inboard of the trucks leaf springs as it will narrow the suspension and cause even more sway.  Both Airlift and Ride-Rites are installed where the jounce stop is, which is inside of the leaf springs…

Not a good idea??

2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue
11 REPLIES 11

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III

I plan on installing a set of lower stable loads today, out with the air bag idea!

2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

I put the Lower Stable Loads on today, I was able to use all three spacers for the rear of the springs, but was only able to get one spacer in the front of the springs.  I had the truck camper lifted 4 inches off the truck bed and jacked the truck up off the springs to get as much space as I could, but one spacer was all I could manage….

This did take the camper off the front rubber pad of the upper overload spring pack by about 1/2 inch.  They will surely make contact when the camper is packed (totally empty right now no water, nothing….). 

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad

I went through the air bag suspension route on my 2007 F250 hauling a 2002 Lance 815. After trying several different read suspension I've found that 2 extra leafs in the main pack and one extra leaf in the over loads has been the best setup for me even with my 2020 Bunduvry. I've found that air bags for off roading with a TC is counter productive, been TCing since 2002.

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Agree, extra leafs and a sway bar are the 2 best solutions for more load carrying capacity and stability….if that is the best overall solution for the overall use of the truck. 
Too many fail to realize their context may be different than others, therefore there is not the same clear cut best solution across the board for everyone and their different uses. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Nope, not a thing. Basically the only place you can put them and where they’re designed to go. 
Yes there are other options but nothing wrong with bags if that’s what you want. 

A simple thought experiment: In your mind install your suspension helpers outboard of your leaf springs, taking some weight off of the leaves. No problem. Now put them on the inboard side, again making sure the leaves carry less weight than they would otherwise. Now move both suspension helpers little by little to the center. Once they are touching at the the center, the picture to me is very  clear; extremely high sway.  The moments around the center line change with the position. Yes, it's a thing, even when part of the helper's design.

'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Here are is a non-inboard mounted Firestone air bag.

firestone-air-bags-firestone-2407

Better check again. That style you posted is for c&c trucks and older trucks. Like my old 86 GMC had that style. 
Not a kit I know of that mounts in line with the springs and none outboard of springs. There’s not even enough room to go outboard. 
Yes bags used properly will increase body roll with a TC, some. And used with higher pressures will increase body roll dramatically. 
Every application has it’s advantages and drawbacks. 

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II

Might want to check-out Torklift's upper and lower stableloads.  Decrease sag, plus they work in conjunction with your leaf springs, so any sway issues should be minimized.  Installed the stainless steel lower stableloads on our Ram 3500 SRW (hauling a 4k truck camper)---loved 'em.  

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III

Im not a fan of air bags, had them a couple decades ago and didn't like them.  if used right they can help but the problem is they tend to unload the trucks suspension so you are just using the airbag.  it is better to use a system that engages the trucks suspension sooner or more and if that doesnt work a new spring setup is the absolutly best way to go.

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

I agree with the other responses. I put Timbrens (airless rubber springs) on my old truck inboard of the leaf springs, and found the sway increased. I corrected it with bump stops on the upper overload contacts. With my latest truck I went straight to upper Stableloads and beefier anti-sway bars. Nothing more is needed.