cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6 v GC batteries versus 12 v lithium deep cycle batteries

str8shooter_mn
Explorer
Explorer
Disregarding price, is there a distinct advantage having 12 volt deep cycle batteries over the standard 6 volt golf cart batteries. These are for house batteries, have four, wired to provide 12 volts. On a Thor Tuscany pusher.
68 REPLIES 68

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
str8shooter_mn wrote:
Disregarding price, is there a distinct advantage having 12 volt deep cycle batteries over the standard 6 volt golf cart batteries. These are for house batteries, have four, wired to provide 12 volts. On a Thor Tuscany pusher.

So with four GCโ€™s you are talking about a combined 430โ€™ish gross amp/hrs (about half that amount for net usable), which translates to about 200 amp/hr worth of LiFePO4โ€™s...

Theoretically, a LiFePO4 can charge at up to a full1C rate, but in practice are just as happy to charge at whatever lower rate your converter-charger or solar can deliver...If you have a Progressive Dynamics 3 stage (or 4 stage w/equalization) charger, all that is needed is to switch it into the 14.4v Boost mode via the Charge Wizard (if so equipped)...

Alternator charging can be another thing, so to protect it from overheating (due to the higher charge receptivity of LFPโ€™s) youโ€™d either want to add a dc to dc charger (compatible with your particular alternator), or do as I did (as a desert camper) and just charge mostly from solar...Since you have a pusher I might assume that you spend lots of idle time with hook-ups, thus solar may meet your remaining needs...

FWIW, getting the required 14.x volts from a newer generation โ€˜Smart alternatorโ€™ may not be a viable option - a battery direct connect, current limiting dc to dc converter will overcome this while protecting the alternator....

Just a few ideas,

3 tons

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
In most RVs you cannot safely just replace your batteries with Lithium batteries. You need to determine if your RV charger will properly work with Lithium batteries. You also are likely needing to modify the way the engine alternator charges the house batteries if they are changed to Lithium. These are considerations the OP needs to make.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
capacitor wrote:
Does the lithium take a different converter?
Maybe. Post that you have for best suggestions.

If you are willing to roll your own the price difference all but goes away.

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
capacitor wrote:

YES
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Li are finicky. SiO2 are not.

PM me if you want to know more.

-30-
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Ignoring price (very hard to ignore), Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO) batteries are far superior to any lead acid battery for 2 reasons :

โ€ข You can discharge them down to almost 0% SOC with no damage (more usable energy for the same rating)
โ€ข They will last many more charge/discharge cycles.

3,000 to 5,000 discharge cycles vs 300-400 for lead acid batteries, and those lead acid batteries can only be discharged to 50% without shortening usable life greatly, even for deep cycle batteries. Finally the lithium iron phosphate batteries will weigh only 25% to 30% what the lead acid batteries weigh for the same rated total capacity, and half that for usable capacity. (example, a 100 AH lithium battery comes in at around 25 lbs, vs around 75 lbs for a 125 AH lead battery, but the latter will only tolerate about 62 AH useable capacity.)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I wish I could afford them!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Ignoring price (very hard to ignore), Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO) batteries are far superior to any lead acid battery for 2 reasons :

โ€ข You can discharge them down to almost 0% SOC with no damage (more usable energy for the same rating)
โ€ข They will last many more charge/discharge cycles.