Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

30 vs 50 amp electrical issue help

ODG255
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2023 heartland mallard 32ft travel trailer. When I bought it at dealer they assured me it was a 50 amp service during purchase and during walk through. During walk through it was already hooked up via 50 amp cord and that is the cord I was given.

We camped two nights and lost all power during the night, come to find out we were running solely on solar despite the cord being plugged into appropriate 50 amp outlet at the camping ground.

Turns out the trailer is 30 amp! Above power receptacle on trailer it states 30 amp only. This is all confusing but I figured I would ask if anyone has had similar experiencesโ€ฆ my concern is that at some point 50 amp power went into the trailer rated for 30 amp and fried it all. Thank you for input.
115 REPLIES 115

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another happy ending on RV.NET
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
ODG255 wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
Heck I called it on page one Or rather I told him what to look for on page one it took him this long to actually LOOK at the 50 amp dual ganged breakers.

Yes it was at the dealer for a week and not one of them looked. Iโ€™m not retired with endless time on my hands, took a while for me to be able to look at it.

Well I do admit to having and advantage or two over many Dealer Technicians.
For one I'm a certified electronics technician though I only did that kind of work professionally for a short period I have the knowledge and skills.. I'm also an Amateur Radio Operator for over 50 years so I've actually BUILT radios from kits and thus learned a bunch of stuff.

My Assoicates degree (Applied Science) was pre-engineering

And I've wire a 30 amp RV and owned a 50.

So I know how they are wired.

I can tell you stories of "Factory Trained" Technicians and how they failed to figure out a problem..... That was easily solved once I put my mind to it (I mean the answer was obvious when I thought it out).

And the guy who could not figure it out FACTORY TRAINED no less. Oh well.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ODG255
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Heck I called it on page one Or rather I told him what to look for on page one it took him this long to actually LOOK at the 50 amp dual ganged breakers.

Yes it was at the dealer for a week and not one of them looked. Iโ€™m not retired with endless time on my hands, took a while for me to be able to look at it.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ODG255 wrote:
[img][/img]

Attached (hopefully) are the much anticipated pictures.

Went to dealer today and after much debate and threatening by me the tech went out and confirmed that it is 50 amp. As he went through and diagnosed he deduced that the converter was not getting powerโ€ฆ which caused the electrical issues I was having. Now that is resolved and confirmed trailer is getting power from shoreline as it should.

They also furnished an email from heartland with my complete build and in there it does state 50 amp with second AC pre wiring. No idea why I got the wrong information yesterday.

So it can all be boiled down to manufacture putting the wrong sticker on, dealer not knowing their hand from their ass, and non related electrical issue making it seem worse than it is.

It is getting 2nd AC put on at the moment and we will be set for AZ! Overall this is the outcome that I was hoping for and Iโ€™m gunna roll with it! Thanks to all for input.

Now go figure out and label your breakers, for future reference.
Not that you indicated that you listened to anything I told you, but I bet the 2 on the left that are off are for the non working fireplace and the second AC hookup.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Called it. 3 days and 7 pages ago. Lol
Glad itโ€™s fixed and your camper is equipped how you hoped it was.

I will pat your back if you pack mine. :B

Thatโ€™s fine, but just donโ€™t ask me to rub your nutzโ€ฆlol

Just hoping that maybe it will spur some folks to stop and think or reason long enough to try to actually troubleshoot something that could or will save them time or moneyโ€ฆ.rather than the ADHD approach like this situation.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:

I will pat your back if you pat mine. :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
ODG255 wrote:

There you have it it's a 50 amp power panel (Dual ganged 50 amp breakers the pair marked MAIN) They simply put the wrong sticker on it.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
ScottG wrote:
I'm thinking the only problem with the OP's trailer is that they put the wrong sticker (30A) over the shore power cord connection.

Nailed it. :B

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad it's resolved the way you wanted.

Suggest you get the correct label for the power plug.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
Glad to hear of the good outcome!

Like Cummins 12v98 stated a few pages back, pics would have solved this many pages ago.

I understand the OP did not have trailer available, but sales guy, or tech could have grabbed a couple pics, and sent them to OP.

OTOH, if any actual tech, would have just taken a minute to look at converter box, the answer was pretty simple.

Jerry

Hence why I would be leery of any work they do...
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Glad to hear of the good outcome!

Like Cummins 12v98 stated a few pages back, pics would have solved this many pages ago.

I understand the OP did not have trailer available, but sales guy, or tech could have grabbed a couple pics, and sent them to OP.

OTOH, if any actual tech, would have just taken a minute to look at converter box, the answer was pretty simple.

Jerry

ODG255
Explorer
Explorer
[img][/img]

Attached (hopefully) are the much anticipated pictures.

Went to dealer today and after much debate and threatening by me the tech went out and confirmed that it is 50 amp. As he went through and diagnosed he deduced that the converter was not getting powerโ€ฆ which caused the electrical issues I was having. Now that is resolved and confirmed trailer is getting power from shoreline as it should.

They also furnished an email from heartland with my complete build and in there it does state 50 amp with second AC pre wiring. No idea why I got the wrong information yesterday.

So it can all be boiled down to manufacture putting the wrong sticker on, dealer not knowing their hand from their ass, and non related electrical issue making it seem worse than it is.

It is getting 2nd AC put on at the moment and we will be set for AZ! Overall this is the outcome that I was hoping for and Iโ€™m gunna roll with it! Thanks to all for input.