Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

30 vs 50 amp electrical issue help

ODG255
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2023 heartland mallard 32ft travel trailer. When I bought it at dealer they assured me it was a 50 amp service during purchase and during walk through. During walk through it was already hooked up via 50 amp cord and that is the cord I was given.

We camped two nights and lost all power during the night, come to find out we were running solely on solar despite the cord being plugged into appropriate 50 amp outlet at the camping ground.

Turns out the trailer is 30 amp! Above power receptacle on trailer it states 30 amp only. This is all confusing but I figured I would ask if anyone has had similar experiencesโ€ฆ my concern is that at some point 50 amp power went into the trailer rated for 30 amp and fried it all. Thank you for input.
115 REPLIES 115

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
How many A/C units on the roof? Highly unlikely it is 50 amp if only 1 A/C.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

ODG255
Explorer
Explorer
sparkydave wrote:
A quick Google search on a Heartland Mallard M32 shows that it has a 30 amp connection. Since it is labeled accordingly, it seems very unlikely that it is mislabeled and the dealer just gave you the wrong cable. Most likely you tripped a breaker or a GFCI and your battery ran down.

As others have said, it doesn't force 50 amps if you plug it into a 50 amp supply, it only takes what it needs. Here's an analogy; if you plug a 60 watt lamp into a 15 amp outlet, it takes about 1/2 amp. If you plug it into a 20 amp outlet, it still takes only 1/2 amp.

I did the same google search. Which makes the presence of a 50 amp receptacle on the trailer ( regardless of power cord) very peculiar. Your theory does seem most logical, even though no breakers were tripped and I rest GCFI. The warning on the sticker just worried me because four small children sleep in that trailer.

We will see what dealer says!

sparkydave
Explorer
Explorer
A quick Google search on a Heartland Mallard M32 shows that it has a 30 amp connection. Since it is labeled accordingly, it seems very unlikely that it is mislabeled and the dealer just gave you the wrong cable. Most likely you tripped a breaker or a GFCI and your battery ran down.

As others have said, it doesn't force 50 amps if you plug it into a 50 amp supply, it only takes what it needs. Here's an analogy; if you plug a 60 watt lamp into a 15 amp outlet, it takes about 1/2 amp. If you plug it into a 20 amp outlet, it still takes only 1/2 amp.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
ODG,
Please keep this thread up and let us know how it closes out. Too bad you don't have a good friend nearby that is "Juice Smart".
Matt_C
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

ODG255
Explorer
Explorer
The other end of the cord and the receptacle are 50 amp from what I can tell comparing them to pictures on the internet.

Trailer is at dealer so I donโ€™t have access to breakers, wish I wouldโ€™ve taken pictures though in hindsight.

If itโ€™s as simple as the wrong sticker being put on there then I shouldnโ€™t have had electrical problemsโ€ฆ if everything worked right I would have never noticed the sticker etc.

I do appreciate all this input! This isnโ€™t my first RV but I am admittedly terrible when it comes to electrical issues.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
ODG255 wrote:
If I could upload pictures on here I would but my power cord is without a doubt a four prong 50 amp cord. Dealer did admit to that. They said โ€œI have no idea why you would have that cordโ€. They have gone back and forth on the trailer being 50 or 30 several times.
OK and what is at the other end of the cord? Is it hard wired to the RV?

Open the load center to observe the breakers in the RV. 50 amp has two 50 amp main breakers. 30 amp has a single 30 amp main breaker.

Please don't tell us it has a single 50 amp breaker ๐Ÿ˜ž

And if connected correctly a 30 amp RV can run fine on 50 amp supply. Likewise a 50 amp RV can run on 30 amps supply (with limited power).

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Could have the wrong sticker applied above the electrical connection.

ODG255
Explorer
Explorer
It does have manufacture warranty. My concern is that they will do some โ€œwarranty workโ€ get it passable then give it back. It was a big purchase for me and I donโ€™t want electrical gremlins haunting me for the next decade.

My other option is to make them take the trailer back. Did deposit on Amex so I can go that route. I just want to know if I have enough to go off to make that happen.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you have any warranty vs a "AS-IS" purchase?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
ODG255 wrote:
If I could upload pictures on here I would but my power cord is without a doubt a four prong 50 amp cord. Dealer did admit to that. They said โ€œI have no idea why you would have that cordโ€. They have gone back and forth on the trailer being 50 or 30 several times.
It's trival to determine if the RV is 30A or 50A including post mfg modifications. Either they are idiots and don't want to face the situation.

Bob

ODG255
Explorer
Explorer

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Possible a 30A 3 wire cord and RV with a 4 wire 50A plug added.

Bob

ODG255
Explorer
Explorer
The first time the trailer was plugged in was at the dealer, so who knows if there was an effect that was ignored. It was plugged in prior to my arrival for walk through.

The only way I knew power was getting from pedestal to trailer was the power indicator LEDS that are located on both the cord and above the receptacle on the trailer. Though I didnโ€™t have a fancy surge protector with a readout it seemed that power was definitely entering the trailer. Even during the day I couldnโ€™t get the electric fire place to turn on (just to verify it worked) even though AC and fridges were running.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Immediate and spectacular is a great descriptor!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ODG255 wrote:
We will see what dealer says. My gut is that itโ€™s a 30 amp rig and that power cord fried everything but I simply didnโ€™t notice until night when solar drained. I have pictures of everything but the breaker box unfortunately.

My gut also says that the dealer will lie like they all do.

The last part is likely true.
However itโ€™s evident that youโ€™re not well versed in residential electrical.
If you could answer a couple questions that you havenโ€™t or put up pictures you may get some sage advice.
Like if the AC power was working before the shutdown. And whether you know the difference and/or have an inverter that was keeping the AC loads up until the batteries went dead.

Do you have a friend who is handy with electrical?
It would help to know what the problem is and go back to the dealer a little more well read so u can keep โ€˜em honest if thatโ€™s whatโ€™s needed.
Tough to play electrical detective online.
Good luck.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold