cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

? 2015 Dometic 2-Door Fridge (2652 or 2662?)

xyzHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
I left yesterday on my Big Adventure 2016. Fridge has been working fine on both electric and propane while sitting in its garage.

When I unplugged yesterday morning to leave, I waited for the fridge to go to propane automatically. It did.(temps were low 30s and 5) Propane tank is a 20 lb'er and newly filled. Burners on stove light, so I have propane.

When I pulled in for the night (520 miles), the wireless temperature sensors read 45 and 20! Weird.

So, I plugged the trailer in to electric at the campground, but forced the fridge to stay on propane.

When I got up this morning, fridge was 35 and freezer was 6.

I just now stopped for night 2 and the fridge is 45 and the freezer is again 20.

The fins in the back of the fridge compartment are full of moisture, as if they defrosted.

Do you know of anything I could check or why this might be happening - that the fridge worked fine last night overnight while on propane, but not while traveling today? **** fridge is just a year old and has barely been used!!

Thanks!
15 REPLIES 15

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
Check what Dougrainer suggested - are you sure the inside doors are tight?

I had the same problem for a while. Turned out there was enough play in the right hand upper (freezer) door latch that the magnetic strip was pulling away from the metal frame about 1/8 inch during transit. This allowed warn air in, so I had much frost/ice in the freezer, and the unit would warm while traveling but would cool off again when we stopped. Of course, no error lights. I fixed mine with a plastic shim in the latch, but this is a temporary solution. I'd like to find a REAL fix for the latch. The latches don't appear to be adjustable.
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
deleted

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Remove the drain tube plastic end and plug the hose. DRIVE and see if the problem goes away. As another stated, IF the flame goes out, you will have a Check Light. Are you POSITVE the inside doors are shut TIGHT? Is this the same problem you had with the Atwood Refer? Doug

xyzHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
Toddupton wrote:
If the flame is going out then you should have an error light on

Well, dang - that blows the blowing out theory! I'm heading out first thing in the morning. I will check everything first thing in the morning and along the way.

Fridge will spend the night, again, on propane.

And as an aside, the original fridge in this 2015 Fun Finder was an Atwood helium. It was SO problematic, that FINALLY Atwood agreed to replace their POS with this new Dometic, at their expense!

Seems like I have the dreaded Fridge Curse.

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
If the flame is going out then you should have an error light on

xyzHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. The fridge IS in a slide. However, it is running, and cooling, on propane right now and the slide is IN.

It has only been while I'm driving that the compartments warm up. I now believe that somehow, the flame is blowing out.

Like I said, I just left for the Big Trip yesterday morning. Both days (today and yesterday), the fridge was COLD when I left in the morning, and warm when I stopped for the afternoon. Last night, at a campground, the fridge ran ALL night on propane was nice and cold this morning. Not after I started driving.

I'll check more tomorrow when I stop for gas and see if the flame is out.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Is the fridge in a slide ??

When new, mine would not run on propane, but ONLY when the slide was 'in'.

There was a kink in the flexible part of the propane line when the slide was 'in' that pretty much suffocated the gas flow.

If it is in the slide (along with the stove), try lighting a gas burner when the slide is 'in'. If it won't light, or is a very weak flame, you have your answer.

If that is the problem, contact your manufacturer to see if there is something that should have been installed to prevent the kink from forming. Or a tech may be able to use zip ties to hold in place so the kink does not form.

xyzHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
Toddupton wrote:
How about your drain tube? Do you have the screen on it or does it have a water trap in it? If not you might have air rushing in while you are driving. Just a thought

Just checked. They screen is in place. However, the hose was hanging out about 6"-8". I just now pushed it all back into its compartment, except for a tiny bit just hanging out of the cover...

Maybe that'll be the answer? It was hanging out so far that it did catch a bunch of wind?

I'll know tomorrow! ๐Ÿ™‚ Hopefully, the news will be good!

xyzHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
xyzHollyxyz wrote:
Just a warm box - no CHECK light.

Yes, on 12v source - brand new, fully charged Group 31 battery.

Yeah, but do you have a properly operating charge line to maintain that battery as the fridge is drawing it down as you drive? :@

The battery, while not on shore power, just now read 12.63V, so I'm assuming that's good enough to keep the fridge running?

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
How about your drain tube? Do you have the screen on it or does it have a water trap in it? If not you might have air rushing in while you are driving. Just a thought

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
xyzHollyxyz wrote:

Yeah, but do you have a properly operating charge line to maintain that battery as the fridge is drawing it down as you drive? :@
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Check Dometic web site first of all for recalls, then, see if they have a kit to prevent blow outs. Otherwise a piece of sheet metal stregicatly placed should do the trick.

xyzHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. I have unplugged from shore power and the fan is still running and it appears the temp is dropping.

If it's blowing out while I drive, how do I prevent that?

xyzHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer