cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Woodbutchers?

quasi
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a woodworker and have a fully outfitted home shop. I'd like to do a little wood butchery while traveling but not sure what works well for traveling. Any other woodworkers out there traveling with their hobby? If so, what do you bring and how do you bring it?

Jim

Growing old is mandatory,
Growing up is entirely optional.

Remember, It's never too late to have
a happy childhood!

18 REPLIES 18

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a small (18") electric chainsaw with me. It's handy for cutting firewood up to about 8" in diameter. Several times wood carvers have asked me to cut flat rounds out of fallen lumber for them to carve on. The saw is also handy for clearing smaller trees which block access roads. It's not a workhorse by any means though. Light duty only.

Several times other campers have asked me to clear a few stray branches that block access (clearance) to otherwise perfect campsites. In certain areas, the rangers should be consulted before cutting anything.

Chum lee

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
quasi wrote:

I think you guys have the wrong idea of my plans. I'm not looking to set up a Production Woodshop. A lathe turning greenwood bowls or a scroll saw making intarsia operate as quietly as a TV and certainly quieter than even the Honda generators.
Jim

Well, that wasn't clear in your OP. You said "wood butchery". That doesn't sound like a quiet activity. Even so, depending on the distance away from the next site, a Honda generator or TV can be heard quite clearly. On a cool day the noise from a lathe or scroll saw would easily carry through a CG. They are not much quieter than a Dremel tool.

I'm not saying not to practice your hobby. All I'm saying is to be conscious of your neighbors. A lot of us go camping to get away from grating noises.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I carry small blocks of bass marked up and roughed in with the band saw along with a few of my carving/whittling tools.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Noise - Jim is correct, a good lathe or Scrollsawing will be quieter than an air conditioner. No problem. Hand carving just as quiet. Do remember to put down a ground cloth for chips though, a lathe throws a lot of curls (I is an old queen bedsheet).

Lathe - I chose the comet for its size, weight, and slow end speed. I'm very happy with it and would recommend it. When I purchased it came with a small nova chuck that works well with this lathe.

The knockdown stand I made takes up little space. I put the lathe, stand, and tormek in the 5er, and the chisels etc (with plastic tubing over ends) in a Stanley water resistant box in truck bed. I built a box that goes on back of 5er for lawn chairs, genny, etc to clear up a little space in the basement.

I also rough turn bowls on the Powermatic at home and just carry the dried blanks, some cut rounds for platters, and a little Watco for finishing.

Traveling now without the lathe, PM me in a few weeks if you want me to send s pic of the stand when I get home. Good luck, you'll be surprised the people that will love watching you turn ๐Ÿ™‚
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
quasi wrote:
How do you haul your equipment? We have a 5th wheel with little storage room left. I was thinking of adding some kind of cargo box to my pick-up and was wondering how other guys do it.
Jim
In addition to the truck bed, consider adding boxes to the front end and to the rear of the 5er.

You could also add a swivel wheel trailer to the back of the fiver which is not considered a double tow. They often carry bikes, ATV's etc. With a storage container you could carry a lot of stuff but consider how to unhitch it when desired with the extra weight.

Swivel wheel.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
quasi wrote:
"I think you need to find a quieter hobby unless you are not going to use any of the power tools from that well equipped home shop. I know we wouldn't like to hear power saws, lathes, sanders, shapers, planers, and routers in the site next to us."

" X2. Last week we were at a CG and there was a guy there doing some carving. That was really cool until he started using his Dremel tool. I can't imagine someone using power tools at a campsite.
"

I think you guys have the wrong idea of my plans. I'm not looking to set up a Production Woodshop. A lathe turning greenwood bowls or a scroll saw making intarsia operate as quietly as a TV and certainly quieter than even the Honda generators.
Jim

I think you have the wrong idea about how far power tool sounds can carry. The campground is no place for power tools.
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

quasi
Explorer
Explorer
"I think you need to find a quieter hobby unless you are not going to use any of the power tools from that well equipped home shop. I know we wouldn't like to hear power saws, lathes, sanders, shapers, planers, and routers in the site next to us."

" X2. Last week we were at a CG and there was a guy there doing some carving. That was really cool until he started using his Dremel tool. I can't imagine someone using power tools at a campsite.
"

Jim

a happy childhood!

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Power tools in the campground? Mr. Ranger isn't going to like this, Yogi.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
I, too have been doing woodworking since a teen. I got into carving about a dozen years ago and spent time learning the trade. It has a wide range of styles. There are also lots of completions from local to international. I mostly just carve for the nice activity it is! I usually precut/glue up any project woods before going camping. Doesn't take up much space either. Good hobby for camping!

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
accsys wrote:
quasi wrote:
We have a Redwood 5er and a 1-ton truck with plenty of load capacity. I'm looking for a hobby not a job and need ideas of what works for others.

Jim

I think you need to find a quieter hobby unless you are not going to use any of the power tools from that well equipped home shop. I know we wouldn't like to hear power saws, lathes, sanders, shapers, planers, and routers in the site next to us. :E

X2. Last week we were at a CG and there was a guy there doing some carving. That was really cool until he started using his Dremel tool. I can't imagine someone using power tools at a campsite.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've been woodworker all my life. But when camping I started whittling with a knife.

quasi
Explorer
Explorer
Ron,

I was thinking about a midi lathe and the Comet was one I was looking at. I already have a couple of lathes at home but the smallest one weighs 200 lbs. I have chucks and accessories that would fit. How do you haul your equipment? We have a 5th wheel with little storage room left. I was thinking of adding some kind of cargo box to my pick-up and was wondering how other guys do it.
Jim

a happy childhood!

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
I'm also a woodworker. I've travelled with many tools to work on NOMADS projects (nomadsumc.org). I've also traveled with a toolbox of wood chisels for carving (but haven't really done much carving). What I've enjoyed most is a
Nova comet lathe and a knock-down stand I made. Woodturning is addictive:)
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
quasi wrote:
We have a Redwood 5er and a 1-ton truck with plenty of load capacity. I'm looking for a hobby not a job and need ideas of what works for others.

Jim

I think you need to find a quieter hobby unless you are not going to use any of the power tools from that well equipped home shop. I know we wouldn't like to hear power saws, lathes, sanders, shapers, planers, and routers in the site next to us. :E
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams