cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who really cares about what forum a thread is in?

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
I often see responses along the lines of "why did you post on this forum rather than that forum" or 'this belongs in "X" forum, or "you will get more responses posting in this forum instead" . Personally, I never check individual forums to see what is going on. I look at the "Active" search and occasionally the "Newest". Then I scroll thru to see if anything looks interesting. What forum it comes out of is meaningless to me.
36 REPLIES 36

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
myredracer wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
myredracer wrote:
If you ask me, I think this entire forum needs an overhaul to bring it into the 21st century. It's just so antiquated compared to other forums out there. Not a good image to portray for the CW empire.

One thing that is ridiculous is when making a post on the TT forum is that you have to click on one of "General Q&A, Modifications & Accessories, Vintage TT's, Pictures of our TT's, Small TT's". Who really gives a care?? Besides, when you go to read threads in the TT forum, it doesn't categorize them anyway.
It's pretty common on most of the forums I've visited to have sub-categories to keep thing a bit more organized, so what you're complaining about is pretty common.

What would you do to overhaul a forum to bring it into the 21st century? I see little difference between this forum and most others, except this one has fewer ads and popups. I am curious about what an overhaul would consist of in your opinion.
Having an MBA, if someone wants me to do a critique on something, I'm going to go all in and to do it right and not half-baked. Would take too much time. I'd rather spend my time enjoying and relaxing the CG we're in for another week. Besides, we've been having major internet issues with our Verizon mifi for nearly a week and am having to use slow CG wifi.
You stated:

"If you ask me, I think this entire forum needs an overhaul to bring it into the 21st century."

So I asked.
Just saying if I'm going to make some good comments on this topic, I'd want them to meaningful and hopefully useful to someone out there. Don't want to end up spending hours on it is all.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
myredracer wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
myredracer wrote:
If you ask me, I think this entire forum needs an overhaul to bring it into the 21st century. It's just so antiquated compared to other forums out there. Not a good image to portray for the CW empire.

One thing that is ridiculous is when making a post on the TT forum is that you have to click on one of "General Q&A, Modifications & Accessories, Vintage TT's, Pictures of our TT's, Small TT's". Who really gives a care?? Besides, when you go to read threads in the TT forum, it doesn't categorize them anyway.
It's pretty common on most of the forums I've visited to have sub-categories to keep thing a bit more organized, so what you're complaining about is pretty common.

What would you do to overhaul a forum to bring it into the 21st century? I see little difference between this forum and most others, except this one has fewer ads and popups. I am curious about what an overhaul would consist of in your opinion.
Having an MBA, if someone wants me to do a critique on something, I'm going to go all in and to do it right and not half-baked. Would take too much time. I'd rather spend my time enjoying and relaxing the CG we're in for another week. Besides, we've been having major internet issues with our Verizon mifi for nearly a week and am having to use slow CG wifi.
You stated:

"If you ask me, I think this entire forum needs an overhaul to bring it into the 21st century."

So I asked.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
I often see responses along the lines of "why did you post on this forum rather than that forum" or 'this belongs in "X" forum, or "you will get more responses posting in this forum instead" . Personally, I never check individual forums to see what is going on. I look at the "Active" search and occasionally the "Newest". Then I scroll thru to see if anything looks interesting. What forum it comes out of is meaningless to me.

I only read 4 forums at this site. Tech Issues, Class A & C motor homes, and this one. I only read about 20% of the posts in each section and only threads with titles that interest me. If the OP leaves out critical info, which IMO, prevents me from being helpful, I move on. If I ask the OP a question for clarification and the OP doesn't respond in a timely, meaningful manner, I move on. Clickbait is dumped immediately. If someone wants to know the fastest/best route to see the worlds biggest ball of string, (unless it's going to be used to fabricate Kim Kardashians underwear (that's a joke)) I don't care how active the thread is, I move on.

Chum lee

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
myredracer wrote:

FWIW, it could be my imagination but it seems like there are fewer and fewer posts this season. Are RV-ers going elsewhere?

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
I drive a class A so I post in Class A forum asking why my dog throws up after eating cantaloupe. Makes sense to me.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
I, like you, simply look at all of the newest. That said, I will often check the thread location to get some context for a post.

Where I really think it matters is for those whose posts presume that context. Some will post issues specific to their type of rig without noting in the post the type of rig they are discussion. Generator conversations in a TT forum are very different than those in a Class A forum. 'Hitch weight' is very different for a TT than a FW. The context, in these cases, can help keep things on track.

Example - I distinctly remember a thread some months back in which a TT owner was talking weights. He/she was cautioned to estimate 75-100lbs for the hitch. Someone came on proclaiming that 75-100 was absurdly low, as the real hitch would weigh 250+. One was talking WDH, the other was talking about a FW system - context mattered, but was only clear through the forum location.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
FlatBroke wrote:
Iโ€™m mowing my lawn this morning. Curious how short do you guys mow yours in this hot weather?

3.75 inches - which is as high as my JD lawn tractor will go. :B
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I only look at "newest".
Jayco-noslide

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
If you're just reading posts, it doesn't matter so much where they are. If you're posting a question, it makes a difference.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
FlatBroke wrote:
Iโ€™m mowing my lawn this morning. Curious how short do you guys mow yours in this hot weather?
I'm not really sure, I'll check with the guy who mows the yard, he'll know.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I came to rv.net in '03 with a haulers background towing trailers (non rv) so I'm interested in tow vehicle and trailers. And the truck camper forum as we had three truck campers I carried on my work trucks, before 5th wheel rv trailers hit the streets.

I also follow a couple of haulers websites.....and agriculture websites mostly keeping up with equipment changes and advances.

I'm a old guy so I follow what interests me.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
newman fulltimer wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
Agree, except Around the campfire does not appear in Newest.

Um, wouldn't this post have been better under forum support?:B :B

Does anybody even look at that thread anymore

Yep ... I do. The latest posts in the Around the Campfire are from today.

Sometimes the posts are very interesting there because posting is not limited to anything related to RV'ing ... which is nice break from the battery charging/plumbing/layout/tires/GPS/tank sizes/solar panels/refrigerators/etc. discussions which are often just rehashes of the same questions and answers that have been around for years.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
westernrvparkowner wrote:

Perhaps for you this is so. However, it isn't for me.

I don't bother reading several of the forums. I do use "newest," but again, there are several forums I simply ignore. I don't care if it's a new post, if it's in a forum I ignore. I still ignore it. What's more, I don't always use "newest," sometimes I'll just hit one or two of the forums I follow regularly, and leave.

So count me amongst those for whom putting your post in an appropriate forum may be of benefit.