cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When The Bridge Has A 10 Ton Limit.............

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Ignore it!

Sagging Bridge

Story in the AR Dem-Gaz

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!
18 REPLIES 18

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Horizon170 wrote:
Non related question.
When a sign says 10 ton limit, does that mean no vehicle over ten tons or the combined weight of all vehicles on bridge may not exceed ten tons?
I think the latter.

It is a good question. I've been involved in the design of more than 25 bridges in my professional career.

The answer is, . . . . it depends. It depends on the mode of failure which can change as the bridge ages. For suspension bridges there are multiple modes of failure. You can have a failure of the main span where the whole main span collapses, or, you can have smaller but equally problematic failures like punching through the bridge deck because of an overloaded axle/wheel. You can also have a failure of the approach structure. There are others too.

Suffice to say that you can cause a failure because of excessive combined weight or because of excessive point (axle/wheel) loads. Best bet, if the sign says 10 tons, the combined weight of your vehicle should not exceed the limit sign. As you can see from the video, going significantly over the limit doesn't always cause a failure, but it doesn't help. Abuse over time adds up.

Chum lee

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
I found it interesting to see the dynamics of a suspension bridge in action but I agree with everyone about the driver being a knobhead.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

Trailblazer87
Explorer
Explorer
In the County I live in, the power company sent a 50 ton crane with pole trailer over a bridge that was posted at 10 tons. This is a one lane wooden bridge built in the 1930's. The front tires of the crane fell through the deck, his front axle caught some stringers before completely falling through. So yeah, those postings mean something. The electric company got a rather large bill for the repairs.
2004 31' Toymate by Automate
2016 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Wife and 2 dogs for travel companions, Blue the hound, and Ruger the Wonderhusky

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Remember the footage of the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco when gale force winds caused it to flop around like a tissue paper.

That was the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in Washington state, and it collapsed due to design problems that were exacerbated by the wind whipping through the Narrows. It was later redesigned and rebuilt.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Horizon170 wrote:
Non related question.
When a sign says 10 ton limit, does that mean no vehicle over ten tons or the combined weight of all vehicles on bridge may not exceed ten tons?
I think the latter.

My understanding is it's the vehicle weight, not the total bridge weight, unless indicated otherwise. Many posted bridges are small enough and narrow enough that it's a moot point; you can't fit much more than one large vehicle on it at a time anyhow. (There are others, of course, including the one in the video.)

Bridges (and other safety-critical rigging or supports) are generally designed with a safety factor of several times the expected load, maybe around five times for a typical bridge if such a thing exists. A ten ton bridge would be designed to support something like 50 tons without failing catastrophically.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
That bus was more likely 35,000 pounds not 35 Ton. but.. Still the driver had no business taking that bridge... THankfully the bridge held.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
The bridge can take it, (for a while) deflection is normal. (just not that much) Just like overloaded trucks on a roadway, it causes greatly accelerated wear which leads to early failures. Commercial drivers should know better than that. That was no accident. Load restricted bridges are clearly marked on their route maps. IMO, they deserve any fines they get.

Chum lee

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Non related question.
I think the latter.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
The writer of the article described a โ€œ35 ton busโ€.

That all you can eat buffet musta bin a good one.

Yeah 70,000 lbs. is kind of tough to swallow. Even half that would be a bit hard to believe.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both drivers, there was a second bus (probably from the same company) that crossed afterwards that wasn't in the video.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s nice to know things are still over engineered! Itโ€™s likely that bridge has an even higher limit than what they imposed on it. But due to the area I believe 20k lbs travelling daily is highly unlikely.

With that said the bus driver should have his CDL revoked!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Weight limit doesnโ€™t mean me, right?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Wow. Yikes. Well, it is a well made bridge! Held twice its weight capacity.

Yes, but so glad Arkansas shut it down for inspection. That looked terrifying.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Well, if there is a 10 ton limit, then most likely the bus driver was in-the-wrong for crossing that bridge. But as far as the bridge flexing and sagging, it's a suspension bridge, it's designed to move, sag, dip. Anything built that is being held up by wire will have flex to to, even bridges. Remember the footage of the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco when gale force winds caused it to flop around like a tissue paper.

And what about the Mackinaw bridge in Michigan? My wife still has a thrilling memory when her parents were driving a truck camper and the 3 kids were in the overhang of the cab crossing the Mackinaw bridge, which is a suspension bridge by the way. The winds were high that day and the bridge was swaying. Up in the cab over, the kids got the wildest roller coaster experience they ever had. She still talks about that, 50 years later.

Agree, bus is overweight and should have never crossed, but the bridge did exactly what it was suppose to do. Even the article states they haven't found any damage (yet).