cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Free VPN?

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have Proton VPN. No data limit, 3 countries to choose: US, Japan and Netherlands, I only need US. Wasn't using laptop for a while, now Proton demands to log in or create account, one country - Netherlands, all other are for pay. Probably a sneaky upgrade. Tried to download free version a few times with same result.

Free Proton on my desktop works as usual, 3 countries. Is there any official link to "good" free Proton? Or any similar free soft - with the US to choose and no data limit? Before I used Hotspot Shield, don't remember what was wrong, data limit or trial period.
12 REPLIES 12

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:

We have the free version of Tunnel Bear which gives you 2GB per month. Not enough for watching videos but plenty to handle the stray site that gets cranky if you are out of the country.

Thanks for reminding about the free Bear. It never failed me but was only 0.5GB. Have checked it just now - it says I have 3GB.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Almot wrote:
Aw, snap - VPN at uwsp.edu needs MFA to connect. Probably "their" university password. My laptop doesn't even have MFA other than a password ๐Ÿ™‚

Yeah, I tried the link and it appears you need an account with the university...Assuming the university isn't handing out free accounts, back to commercial products.

We have the free version of Tunnel Bear which gives you 2GB per month. Not enough for watching videos but plenty to handle the stray site that gets cranky if you are out of the country.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Aw, snap - VPN at uwsp.edu needs MFA to connect. Probably "their" university password. My laptop doesn't even have MFA other than a password ๐Ÿ™‚

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
how to win 10 vpn

https://www3.uwsp.edu/infotech/Pages/Tutorials/VPN/Windows-10-VPN-Setup.aspx

Thank you, Don. This should work for me.

MrWizard
I'm still running Windows 8, on my laptop, Android 12 on my phone, this n tablet has Android 10, I have "duck duck go" tracking blocker running on both the tablet and the phone, it's not a VPN hiding my geo location, but it does prevent all those background apps from sending all my info to data collection firms including Big Brother Goggle, almost every App on all Android devices is running trackers in the background, even though I/You did not open the app,
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
how to win 10 vpn

https://www3.uwsp.edu/infotech/Pages/Tutorials/VPN/Windows-10-VPN-Setup.aspx
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Another useful if not absurd need for Mullvad VPN is to access area online film festivals, such as the Environmental Film Festival in DC. For some reason, licensing to view festival online content won't allow me to access it from Baltimore, MD. I'm actually in VA just 5-min. from DC, though my home internet IP address shows up in MD. I have to use a VPN with VA metro area IP just to watch anything from VA. :S You can't make this stuff up.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks, people.

Mullvad is inexpensive indeed.

Found Windscribe free, 2gb data cap - presumably per month. Email is not required but with email it's 10gb. I only need it occasionally. $70/year. Mullvad is $55/year.

Built-in Windows VPN is a mystery to me. It probably works but I don't see server locations, need it to be US with Canada as an option.

I don't particularly trust free VPNs as nothing is really free. You may want to look at Mullvad VPN. Reasonably priced service, though can do so on a monthly basis as needed. Consistently fast servers worldwide . About as anonymous as a VPN can get, no email needed to sign-up, and still able to work. No activity logs kept.

I find it useful when traveling, when needing to access public internet networks.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
enblethen,

Thanks! I did not know of that feature for windows.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Are you running Windows and Microsoft edge?
Then use the free VPN from Microsoft.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

I have used Edge's VPN but within a month it used up the data limit. Didn't seem practical to me. Guessing it is being used to gather data prior to being a charged product.