cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What Size Telescoping Ladder

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
I have a tt that has a height of 10 ft and I AM looking for a telescoping ladder. My trailer does have a ladder but I want to mount a Pathway Satellite Antenna on the existing ladder and I thought it would be easier to have the additional ladder for this application. I would like to know how tall I should get based on others experiences. Thanks Ed
10 REPLIES 10

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did I mention I used to be a professional ladder monikey

I've done 2 rungs (each a foot apart) above the roof but 3 is recommended for safety.
That is why I recommended 14 feet (one foot for The Pythagorean theorem 10 feet for the roof and 3 for safety)

How to "Set" the ladder (proper slope) To get the slant or slope of the ladder right you need a handy Dandy Slope gauge Thankfully you have one... Built in.

With your toes just touching the ladder's "Feet" reach out and grab a rung.

IF you just barely touch it with your fingers.. Too "flat" move feet closer to trailer.

If you have to bend your ram (or the rung hits your wrist) move feet farther from trailer

If, with your arm fully extended the rung falls nicely in the palm of your hand so you grip it like you'd grip it climbing.. Good to go

Be sure to secure the top when you get there Least it blow over and strand you.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've got a 12'. Its fine for my trailer.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Using a short ladder to get on the roof is easy, getting off can be dangerous with nothing to hang onto.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I've comfortably gotten on and off the 10' roof for years with a 10' self standing ladder. I would never take that RVing though, and as I'm finally getting close to that age where my adventures will be longer, I just purchased a 12.5' collapsible ladder, which I expect will work quite well. Taller might be easier, but it starts getting heavy and storage becomes an issue.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Are you looking for one time use, or to purchase?
(Presuming you really never have needed a ladder if you donโ€™t actually own an extension ladder).
One time? Borrow one.
Purchase? However long you want. OSHA says ladders extend 3โ€™ min beyond upper landing. But this is sort of a strange question......
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
12. 10 isnโ€™t enough for my TT.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
10' Well I'd say 14 foot for the ladder (10 foot + a foot for the slope + 3 feet above roof)

If you are near Flint I have a 12.5 you can try and a convertable (14') that I really should junk convertable step/extension ladder.. you can try 'em for size reference.. Not selling the telescoping and for sure not the one the other one I'm likely going to sell as scrap metal.. It is damaged and I'd not wish the liability of passing it on..
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
If you were nearby, I'd give you one, slightly used, 12 footer. I hate it. Vertical rung spacing is way more than I am comfortable with. Be sure to check that out on whatever you find.
2014 Allegro 36LA

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a 12 ft for our TT, works well so far the roof of the TT is about 10 ft. But I lean the ladder against the installed ladder on back and climb the last two rungs on that. Don't want to score the paint on the TT by leaning the ladder on it.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
me? i'd want a ladder the extended at least a foot above the roof line. and remember, your ladder will be resting at an angle against youf TT meaning the ladder will need to be longer than 10' to begin with so it will be even with the roof.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle