cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Should I Consider for a 4WD Tow Vehicle?

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
Currently, I'm using a Tow Dolly to tow my 2017 FWD Ford Edge, but I'm inclined to want to flat tow a 4WD for ease and convenience. A Bump Shop friend suggests Jeep CJ4, and though I've never owned a Jeep of any type before, I'm now confronted with a multitude of options of which I know little about, never having had a 4WD vehicle before.

I don't need a 2nd vehicle, and so, would be exchanging my Edge for something I can use as my daily transportation, while also permitting me a easier means of towing a vehicle behind my Class A.

I'm open to suggestions, experiences, and any details you feel would help me in my choices for a new 4WD vehicle - thanks!
21 REPLIES 21

Y-Guy
I own a Wrangler and I've owned an Edge. Depending on how much towing you will do the real deal breaker is the CJ is not that comfortable nor does it get great mileage, if you drive a fair amount I'd reconsider. I assume your Edge is the I4 EcoBoost, which isn't 4-down tow-able. If you like the Edge what about getting one that is, the V-6 is tow-able. What about a newer Jeep?

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
If you like the ride of your Edge, you won't like the CJ. If you are looking at Jeeps, find a Liberty 4x4.

Any vehicle you consider, look at its owners manual and read to see if it is "recreational towable"

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Dinghy Towing forum from Towing.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
Are you certain your Edge isn't flat towable? Many of the FWD ones are...depending on engine. I don't think the 2.0L Edges are flat towable, but the 2.7L and 3.5L ones typically are IIRC. The owner's manual would spell it out.
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
There are a few still, check the Dinghy guides for whatever year you are looking for.
As CVT becomes more common, 4 down choices seem to be dwindling.

grampachet
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2008 Cadillac SRX SUV is ok to tow 4 down.
2004 F-250 KIngRanch,CC,SB,SRW,4x4,V-10,3.73
2008 Montana 3000RK

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You should have moderator move your post to Dinghy forum.
Yes, a Jeep is a choice.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker