cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Washer issue driving me nuts

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
A while back my washer/dryer combo started to make the clothes smell like mold. After a cycle, they just smelled. Never used to do this, used it for 2 years.

Tried vinegar, bleach, oxy, O3 water, and every solution I could find on the interwebs. Finally gave up, bought a new one.

Now 2 weeks later with the new one smelling fine, the clothes are smelling bad again, same smell as last unit. The first unit was a Magic Chef, this is a Splendide.

Any ideas as far as what to check? We drink the same water that goes into the washer, so I don't know how it could be that.
25 REPLIES 25

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses, had a lot going on yesterday

Is the dryer vented to outside? if so, has it been cleaned?
Have you checked the washer drain vent?

First unit was unvented, new one is vented. I don't really run the dryer ever. The vent/drain below: I opened and drained, also the rubber hose there, opened that and drained. Strangely, the water never smells.

Can you do a smellcheck to see if the clothes smell bad after the wash cycle or the dryer cycle?

first unit, only ran dryer when i first got it, haven't in like a year
just tried with new unit, after dry, they still smell slightly

Do you have a lot of iron in your water? The bacteria and sulfur oxide can make it smell bad. perhaps add a particle and carbon block filter to your supply line and might fix the issue.

not that I know of, i'm on city water down here in the FL keys. I could try a carbon filter

Different location???? Different water supply.

same location/water supply

Yep and all my HE appliances are awful. They're high efficiency either because they use less water, spin less and slower or in the case of my dishwasher don't dry properly because the element is weaker and doesn't stay on long. All these things lead to smells. Water remaining in any appliance will lead to mildew or lingering sulfur smells. Modern appliances simply do not work as well as older models for the sake of efficiency.

I am actually thinking this is what's happening. Since I got the unit brand new and it didn't smell for about 2 weeks (running every day). I figure the water is in the basin left behind from previous cycle and smelling.

Stupid me I bought a bucco bucks Bosch dishwasher for the house, 4 yrs later a repairman asks how often do you run this? I said we have a son, his bride and newborn living with us as they find a house, and I do daycare for the grand kids, so 2 maybe 3 times a day. He stated MODERN DISHWASHERS ARE ONLY DESIGNED TO RUN 3 TO 4 TIMES A WEEK!!! I wore it out!! Energy efficient means less water, smaller motors, smaller heating elements, ETC. Pretty sure it's the same for all modern appliances.
With our HE washer I often have to wash clothes twice to remove dirt/odors, or use a heavy perfumed detergent and softner(not going to happen). I also have to wipe the water out of the rubber door gasket to avoid moldy stagnant water sitting in it, and removing the detergent tray and spraying with a bleach & water solution to prevent mold in that dark moist area.
But hey we we're saving the planet even though we are having to run the appliance twice as often to get the results of the old ones running once. Truly I don't understand it, but what are the options?
Wipe out every area, spray with a bleach/water solution and hopefully you can get ahead of the smell & mold.
Sorry for the rant, but its my challenge too.

i leave the washer door open 100% of the time it's not running. When I had a dishwasher I left the door open as well. I do agree though, the "HE" garbage just means "Hardly Effective" IMO

Mommalu
Explorer
Explorer
Stupid me I bought a bucco bucks Bosch dishwasher for the house, 4 yrs later a repairman asks how often do you run this? I said we have a son, his bride and newborn living with us as they find a house, and I do daycare for the grand kids, so 2 maybe 3 times a day. He stated MODERN DISHWASHERS ARE ONLY DESIGNED TO RUN 3 TO 4 TIMES A WEEK!!! I wore it out!! Energy efficient means less water, smaller motors, smaller heating elements, ETC. Pretty sure it's the same for all modern appliances.
With our HE washer I often have to wash clothes twice to remove dirt/odors, or use a heavy perfumed detergent and softner(not going to happen). I also have to wipe the water out of the rubber door gasket to avoid moldy stagnant water sitting in it, and removing the detergent tray and spraying with a bleach & water solution to prevent mold in that dark moist area.
But hey we we're saving the planet even though we are having to run the appliance twice as often to get the results of the old ones running once. Truly I don't understand it, but what are the options?
Wipe out every area, spray with a bleach/water solution and hopefully you can get ahead of the smell & mold.
Sorry for the rant, but its my challenge too.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Campinghoss@51 wrote:
HE - stands for high efficiency

Yep and all my HE appliances are awful. They're high efficiency either because they use less water, spin less and slower or in the case of my dishwasher don't dry properly because the element is weaker and doesn't stay on long. All these things lead to smells. Water remaining in any appliance will lead to mildew or lingering sulfur smells. Modern appliances simply do not work as well as older models for the sake of efficiency.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
HE - stands for high efficiency
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
When we had our motorhome we noticed that some of the cg's potable water was very hard. Our washer/dryer combo would have an off order sometimes. I purchased a on the go water softener and never smelled the off odor again. Sold the motorhome and went back to the fiver in my sig. The washer smells fine all the time now. None of our faucets have any signs of stain either. I highly recommend a softner if you don't know your water supply.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
LMHS wrote:
HE washers, top load and front load, are supposed to have a "cleaning" cycle run once a month (I think Splendide manufacturer says every 30 washes). It should have come with the directions for your washer. My HE top loader has a "clean" cycle (just add bleach) just for cleaning. I find it easier to run the clean cycle on the 1st day of every month. Otherwise you can buy a product called Affresh and run that in a cleaning cycle OR a short cycle (NOT a fill and dump cycle but an actual wash cycle). On a front loader, you MUST wipe out the backside channel of the flange around the door as it will smell nasty and can also make your clothes smell. You may not notice your clothes smelling if you use a heavily scented fabric softener or detergent (do you smell like "Eau de Gain" or a similar detergent/softener?). Don't forget to clean the detergent/bleach/softener dispenser cups.

OK, I give up! What is a "HE" washer???

Never mind, I figured it out!
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

LMHS
Explorer II
Explorer II
HE washers, top load and front load, are supposed to have a "cleaning" cycle run once a month (I think Splendide manufacturer says every 30 washes). It should have come with the directions for your washer. My HE top loader has a "clean" cycle (just add bleach) just for cleaning. I find it easier to run the clean cycle on the 1st day of every month. Otherwise you can buy a product called Affresh and run that in a cleaning cycle OR a short cycle (NOT a fill and dump cycle but an actual wash cycle). On a front loader, you MUST wipe out the backside channel of the flange around the door as it will smell nasty and can also make your clothes smell. You may not notice your clothes smelling if you use a heavily scented fabric softener or detergent (do you smell like "Eau de Gain" or a similar detergent/softener?). Don't forget to clean the detergent/bleach/softener dispenser cups.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
way2roll wrote:
Do you have a lot of iron in your water? The bacteria and sulfur oxide can make it smell bad. perhaps add a particle and carbon block filter to your supply line and might fix the issue.

Different location???? Different water supply.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

dedmiston
Can you do a smellcheck to see if the clothes smell bad after the wash cycle or the dryer cycle?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Is the dryer vented to outside? if so, has it been cleaned?
Have you checked the washer drain vent?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker