cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2007 CRV Tail light wiring as a toad?

nehuge
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there, 1995 F53 Ford Class A chassis.

It has four pins on its hitch plug:
1) left turn signal
2) right turn signal
3) constant tail signal
4) ground

When I flip the motorhome left signal, I get power at the left turn signal pin 1.
When I flip the motorhome right signal, I get power at the right turn signal pin 2.
When I touch the brakes, I get power at both the left turn signal and right turn signal pins 1&2.
When I turn the headlights on, I get power at the constant tail signal pin 3.

So given this I figure the motorhome is a "combined" tail light system right?

What I'm looking to do is have my 2007 CRV in tow. I want the CRV tail lights to work as if I driving it. It has amber turn signals, and red tail lights and brake lights and a 3rd brake light. So given this I figure the toad is a "separate" tail light system right?

I'm not interested in cutting holes for separate bulbs, or having some kit only make the red lenses light up while braking and those same red lenses light up when signaling.
Additionally, I will have a supplemental braking system in it, so when the braking system pushes on the CRV's pedal, I don't want it engaging the red lenses on the CRV, I only want the Motorhome's brake pedal to make that happen.

Can anybody provide a way to wire this up if I buy a bunch of the Roadmaster diodes (little silver square diodes) and would I need a tail light converter? 3 to 2? Or 2 to 3? A diagram would be the best way for me to visualize and grasp the concept.

Thanks in advance,
3 REPLIES 3

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have used a set of magnetic lights for years. 4 different toads and not a single failure. Did have to add an extension when we got the 4 dr Jeep due to length.

With the computers in these late model vehicles, I won't start hooking into the wiring systems and take a chance on ruining a computer
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
IF the MH does not have separate lights for brake and turn then you would have to rewire the MH for what you want. If it does then you need a 6 wire connection, 2x turn, brake, running lights, ground and charge line.

Regardless I recommed a 6 wire connection so that you have a charge line.

I towed my 04 CRV for years using it's combined brake/turn light with the above link, no issue for me.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
This should help. wiring diagram
Page 3 should be the one.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow