cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Warren Buffett buys large stake in Pilot Flying J

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
He's going to buy 38.6% and plans to become the largest stakeholder over six years.

Clicky
Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.
19 REPLIES 19

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully Buffet will take his Forest River DP to a Flying J diesel pump for fuel in his good shoes. Maybe something positive will come from that.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
I liked Flying J but not Pilot. It was a bad thing when Flying J was bought by Pilot.

Most Flying J's also had RV's in mind, along with 18 wheelers. Not so much Pilot.

RRinNFla wrote:
It sounds like a positive to me. I like the concept of Flying J, but I have found their execution to be erratic. Like pulling up to the RV pump, and finding that the card reader doesn't work.

If someone offers a superior product, there politics makes no difference to me.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

RRinNFla
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like a positive to me. I like the concept of Flying J, but I have found their execution to be erratic. Like pulling up to the RV pump, and finding that the card reader doesn't work.

If someone offers a superior product, there politics makes no difference to me.
Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

concord_05
Explorer
Explorer
Just as a tidbit of info when we traded for our MH at Relieble RV in Springfield MO.we found out it was owned by Warren Buffet. We were told it was the only rv business he owned.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
I expect it has something to do with the Haslam family getting out of the business. The governor of Tennessee, Bill Haslam, is going to run for the US Senate in 2018. The Haslam family says there is no connection in this article but.... cash on hand is always good.

The Haslam family will still own 50.1% but will decrease that to 20% by 2023, and Berkshire-Hathaway becoming the majority stockholder at that point.

Haslam announced yesterday he won't run. He realized after his tenure as Governor he ha no chance of being elected.
Instead Tn House Speaker Diane Blackburn will run instead. She will lose also.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Being that Jimmy Haslem is the CEO of the Cleveland Browns, maybe Warren can get that entity and turn it into a winner, because Jimmy sure hasn't done anything with the decaying franchise.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Haslam

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
memtb wrote:
Walaby wrote:
memtb wrote:
If true!!!! I'll be buying fuel elsewhere! :M

Why? Inquiring minds want to know.

Is it just an aversion to successful businessmen?

Mike

Not allowed to get political on forum. Some internet research will answer questions!

Understand...although not sure I believe some of what I read nor the sources thereof.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
memtb wrote:

Mike

Not allowed to get political on forum. Some internet research will answer questions!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
memtb wrote:

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Warren and Charlie are also the largest shareholders in Wells Fargo.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
That's oK with me memtb. easier for me to get my fuel without the naysayers in my way.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
We just love Pilot and Flying J. Easy in and out, great coffee, clean restrooms.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Buffett has a long history of not changing successful companies while giving them the resources needed to grow. I don't expect the PFJ deal will be any different, and the Haslam family staying involved should be a plus.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate