cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upgrade to 16" wheels ,seek opinions for tires (LT vs ST?)

XR4rider
Explorer
Explorer
I know this topic has been beaten into the ground, however, as I read forum after forum about the LT vs ST topic, I noticed a lot of people posting about changing to LT tires have heavier trailers with heavier axles (6,000, 7000lbs etc).

I just purchased a new light 29' 5th wheel. The dry weight is about 7300lbs and it came with 4400lb LCI axles. The trailer came with cheap ST225/75-15 load range D tires. The first upgrade I would like to do is take of the current 15" wheels and put on 16" wheels. After reading all the different opinions about LT vs ST tires and reading about what brand tires people are using, I think I have narrowed it down to either:
1) Michelin XPS Ribs LT225/75R16 weight = 50lbs
2) Bridgestone Duravis LT225/75R16 weight = 52lbs
3) Firestone Transforce HT LT225/75/16 weight - 34lbs

All those listed are load range E.

I have thought about sticking with the 15" but seems there are more, and better, tire options with 16"s.

So my question is will running the Michelin or Bridgestone tires cause more long term wear on other components because of their heavier weight? The Firestone Transforce is quite a bit lighter.

I have read through various forms that people have had good experiences with all three brands.

I will be traveling around the country for the next 2 years so I will be putting quite a bit of miles on the trailer, so trying eliminate as many blowouts and mechanical issues as possible.

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions
26 REPLIES 26

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
XR4rider wrote:
Yea Path1. I have definitely thought about the price to do the wheel/tire upgrade. It is a lot of money. I think if didn't plan to put so many moles on the trailer the next few years I would think more about keeping the 15s and finding a good 15" trailer tire. Hopefully those Goodyears keep getting good reviews.

There is a good 15" LT. Wrangler HT. I am running them on my smaller bumper pull horse trailer, but in your case I think you'd be pretty close to their load capacity.

I'd go 16's on a trailer as heavy as yours.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Tandem 4400 lb axles = 2200 lbs per tire now add a good 15 percent reserve capacity = around 2500-2600 lbs per tire.....or use the trailers GVWR and divide by four.

The Bridgestone R-250 and and the higher cost Michelin XPS Rib are both all steel ply carcass commercial grade tire. They are heavy and best suited for heavy loads.
The Firestone Transforce HT is a ply carcass tire and make a excellent tire for trailer use.
Either of the 3 tires you mention will hands down beat a ST tire in this weight range.

I get 50k-55k miles 6-7 years of trouble free service from LT235/85-16 E Firestone Transforce HT on 6k axles and LT215/85-16 E BFG Commercial HT on 5.2k axle on my rv and other trailers.
Cooper Discoverer HT-3 and Goodyear Wrangler HT are both poly carcass tires with lots of rv and non rv trailer users.

Pulling heavy equipment/enclosed trailers for over 1.2 million miles has show me heavier tires last longer than a light weight tire ""when carrying loads"". They seem to take abuse better....However for your smaller trailer a poly tire works great.

Goodyears Endurance has only been out for just over a year now so its gonna' take several years of service to see if Goodyear has a winner.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

XR4rider
Explorer
Explorer
Yea Path1. I have definitely thought about the price to do the wheel/tire upgrade. It is a lot of money. I think if didn't plan to put so many miles on the trailer the next few years I would think more about keeping the 15s and finding a good 15" trailer tire. Hopefully those Goodyears keep getting good reviews.

bg71361
Explorer
Explorer
XR4rider wrote:
Sorry, I forgot to mention, yes it is 6 lug. The current wheel is a 15x6" wheel. Ive found a few 16x6" or 16x6.5" wheels that will work. I guess I was a bit concerned with the extra tire weight of the Michelin. Bit I have read a lot of good reviews of them.

I upgraded 15 to 16 and left the STโ€™s a long time ago, I now have the Michelin XPSโ€™s, awesome tire worth ever penny I paid not only in performance but peace of mind. I just purchased another set getting ready to mount them soon. Keep in mind you get responses all over the place, itโ€™s kind of like asking whatโ€™s best Ford, Dodge, Chevy blah blah blah.
Good luck!

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Faced with same problem..
After adding up cost of new rims I'm thinking with the new trailer tires goodyear has started making. And load range e. But only been on market for short time now. Local discount tire mounted 28 so far and not one problem so far
But the long time record is still out.
That is only reason I read tire posts anymore. Very few problems with them. Think their name is endurance?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
any of your three choices are good ones in my opinion. I run the Firestones on one of my gooseneck horse trailers that maxes out usually around 12K pounds. This is the second set of them on this trailer. First set aged out but still had some tread. No problems ever with them.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Your first problem is trying to find 5 lug 16 inch wheels. From there LT tires would be your best choice.

Tire Rack has them.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

XR4rider
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I forgot to mention, yes it is 6 lug. The current wheel is a 15x6" wheel. Ive found a few 16x6" or 16x6.5" wheels that will work. I guess I was a bit concerned with the extra tire weight of the Michelin. Bit I have read a lot of good reviews of them.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
XR4rider wrote:
I know this topic has been beaten into the ground, however, as I read forum after forum about the LT vs ST topic, I noticed a lot of people posting about changing to LT tires have heavier trailers with heavier axles (6,000, 7000lbs etc).

I just purchased a new light 29' 5th wheel. The dry weight is about 7300lbs and it came with 4400lb LCI axles. The trailer came with cheap ST225/75-15 load range D tires. The first upgrade I would like to do is take of the current 15" wheels and put on 16" wheels. After reading all the different opinions about LT vs ST tires and reading about what brand tires people are using, I think I have narrowed it down to either:
1) Michelin XPS Ribs LT225/75R16 weight = 50lbs
2) Bridgestone Duravis LT225/75R16 weight = 52lbs
3) Firestone Transforce HT LT225/75/16 weight - 34lbs

All those listed are load range E.

I have thought about sticking with the 15" but seems there are more, and better, tire options with 16"s.

So my question is will running the Michelin or Bridgestone tires cause more long term wear on other components because of their heavier weight? The Firestone Transforce is quite a bit lighter.

I have read through various forms that people have had good experiences with all three brands.

I will be traveling around the country for the next 2 years so I will be putting quite a bit of miles on the trailer, so trying eliminate as many blowouts and mechanical issues as possible.

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions

I believe your first comment is stated backwards because on the heavier RVs, its harder to find an LT tire that has the same weight rating as the ST tires do. For example is the Sailun G rated ST tires that have a 4400 or 4800 lb weight rating, not sure they have a designated LT tire comparable. Goodyear Endurance ST tires may be the same also. Actual weight of the tire is really irrelevant on an RV.
As others have mentioned, in order to change up to 16" wheels you will have to have 6 lug wheels on your RV.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Your first problem is trying to find 5 lug 16 inch wheels. From there LT tires would be your best choice.

He probably has 6 lug wheels.

I would check the recommended wheel width for the Michelins, then get the wheels and tires and travel with confidence.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Get the Bridgestone Duravis that fit your needs if you can fit wheels to your rig. They are awesome tires. Heavier weighing tires have no effect other than more rubber on the road and more protection from the elements.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer