cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Twist on waste valve?

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering installing a twist on waste valve. When I went to dump the black tank on our last outing the dump handle came off in my hand. It was a bit of an effort to thread it back in place because the end was tucked up under the coroplast. I put a little blue thread locker on the threads when I got home to insure it doesn't happen again. I've read of others that have lost them on the road while travelling.
I'm thinking of installing a twist on waste valve and leaving the black tank valve open. The 1-1/2" outlet for the grey tank connects to the common outlet. I will leave the grey valve closed until the black tank is completely emptied. Once the black tank is emptied I'll dump the grey. I always dump the grey first anyway.
Any reason I shouldn't do this?
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300
17 REPLIES 17

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
I always dump black first then gray. That way the lines are flushed of black waste.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
If it ha not been mentioned, If it freezes out, you will have fun thawing out that ice chunk inside the PVC. I have personal experience at that.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I have one and have been using it for the last 2yrs without a problem. I have 3 handles, one broke in the open position and its a bear to get at so I just bought the twist on one and leave it on. No problems with whacking it.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use one after an incident that may have been me or it may have been a smart aleck.
The other valves are opened and closed as before, the twist on one is insurance. Place the extra valve with the handle facing forward so that it can't be snatched open by something catching it going down the road. Mine just happens to tuck up under the body cladding so that it is mostly hidden.
Puma 30RKSS

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit I like your idea. I may look at that option of adding something more permanent. Now that I have blue Loctite on it I should be good to go. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it works loose again.
Thanks for all the replies.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I kept a twist-on valve for emergency use. When I eventually had a failure I found that it fit loosely making it unsafe for travel. Recently I heated the ears and bent them in for a tighter fit for the next time.

I like the idea above about simply installing a third valve.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last two trailer s I have permanently ADDED an extra drain valve vs the twist on type

Common drain header....so on horizontal run just before elbow that turns it outward I cut the drain pipe...glued on flanges and bolted another valve in place.

With it closed I can open 1, 2 or all 3 drain valves as desired
Galley is smallest so I combine the 2 grey tank by having valves open
If greys get to full I open black and combine all three for MAX capacity

Drain/Flush/Rinse........good to go.

On mine the twist on would need extra support to stop it from bouncing up/down stressing drain header, would stick out past side of 5th wheel and hang too low.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
I use FHUs but never leave my gray valve open anyway. I may try the twist on valve and see how it goes.
4x4van I like your signature. I hope I never have to stop playing!!

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
djousma wrote:
Maybe you don't do F/H, so it wouldnt be an issue for you.

No, I do FHUs but if I leave the gray open during the week, I'll close it the last day or two to build up some flush water.

The OP would no longer be able to do that if they leave their black valve open and instead use the twist on valve.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
djousma wrote:

No, I do FHUs but if I leave the gray open during the week, I'll close it the last day or two to build up some flush water.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
The only negative I can think of is the valve getting whacked by road debris and breaking off. More negative for the drivers behind you.

With a third valve, you can use the gray water to backflush the black tank. After dumping the black tank, leave the third valve closed and open the gray until the flow stops. Close the gray and open the third valve. I do the same thing, except I just hold up the slink.

The only problem I can see with this plan is if you do full hookups. When I am on full hookup, I leave the gray tanks open. You certainly wouldnt leave your black tank open too? I also have the twist on valve, but thats because the remote valves always leave a little bit of water in the drain between the valve, and the end, and I dont want a handful of water when I pull the cap.

Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, to the OP, sounds like you fixed the problem, I would keep the valve closed.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We've had one for years; the latest a Valterra. Sometimes our shower gray tank fills up while the kitchen gray tank is almost empty. When that happens the 3rd valve can be shut and the two gray valves opened to `balance' the tanks until the next dumping.
I'm still pondering whether to leave the black tank valve open all the time.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Will the twist-on valve hang down where it could be subject to road debris damage? Other than that possibility, it should work fine. Replacing the existing valve is usually not a big job though, just time consuming.

I donโ€™t think it should hang down but Iโ€™ll check before I install it.
Donโ€™t enjoy laying under the trailer trying to do repairs, especially if itโ€™s raining. I just want to dump the tanks and go.
Thanks for your reply.