cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel trailer to 5th advise

301TBS
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at changing from a TT to a 5th wheel. Any comments or advise from members would be appreciated. I have towed TT for 35 years and think a 5th will be easier to park in tight sites?? Also will be shorter tow length eg-30'bumper pull is 30' past bumper, 28'5th will be about 24'? Am I correct?
I would like to know if the 5th will have more wind resistance pulling, as it is 3'higher.
Thanks
2019 Springdale 240BH
2009 F150 Scab 4x4, 4.6, 3v. 6spd. 3.73/9.75
Reese dual cam
14 REPLIES 14

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
301TBS wrote:
Thanks for all the great info everyone. I have no need for a washer/dryer setup.
Sounds like I need to have more payload for this to work. Yellow sticker is 1450.

YEP! only the smallest/lightest 5th wheels would work with that low of a payload capacity.
that 1450 number also has to include the weights of the hitch, passengers and anything else in the truck.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
301TBS wrote:
Thanks for all the great info everyone. I have no need for a washer/dryer setup.
Sounds like I need to have more payload for this to work. Yellow sticker is 1450.

YEP! only the smallest/lightest 5th wheels would work with that low of a payload capacity.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
301TBS wrote:
Thanks for the replies and links. The unit we are looking at has a DRY pin of 1200lbs. That may be tight. We will be under our GCWR by 1800lbs loaded.
I guess I am really asking for advise on the towing aspect between the two before I proceed any farther. I also read a lot of comments of steps in 5th wheels, but our tt has 3 steps up already. There are only 2 more steps up to the bedroom on the 5er, and we are still mobile. The bathroom is on the main level.

What about the GVWR. that 1200lb dry pin will turn into 15, or 1600lb pretty quick, and "many" F150s have less than 2000lb of payload, and Most only have 1500lbs, unless it is a HDF150.
I'm betting that once the truck is loaded for camping, and the 5er is loaded for camping. You will be well over the GVWR. Still under the GCVWR, but over the GVWR
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

301TBS
Explorer
Explorer
2019 Springdale 240BH
Reese dual cam

x96mnn
Explorer
Explorer
I find a ft have wheel easier to back up, I have a longer camper with less behind the the back of the truck like you stated and the ceiling hight I like.

I haul both with my current TV, find no difference in how they tow but I think that is due to my DRW truck. Friends who haul near their limits find a 5th wheel more stable.

The difference in weight placed on a TV with a 5th wheel is best explained as follows. A loaded up 10000pd 5th wheel will place between 2000 and 2500pds on the back of the truck when connected. A TT that weights 10000pds loaded up will place 1000 to 1500pds on the back of the truck. The variance is how a trailer may be loaded.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
i seriously doubt you'll find a 5th wheel with a washer/dryer hookups, that you can tow with your F150.

what's your payload sticker say is the truck's capacity?
it's on the yellow sticker on your driver's door.

looking at your GCWR is worthless without checking the truck's payload capacity. that's where you'll find your biggest problem with a 5th wheel.

wvcampers
Explorer
Explorer
5th wheel tows great, no sway when being passed by the 18 wheelers. Backing up is a new experience, the fifth is a lot different, It turns sharper and corrects slower, once you learn to watch the tires and not the trailer it is easy, Most important be carful when cornering going forward. The fiver will be inside the radius of the truck, it does not follow like a TT. The fifth is easier to hitch up, but you cannot drop a TT on the bed of your truck or damage the cab and rear window of your truck (I have done both) With all that said it would be hard to go back to a TT.
2017 F350 6.7 CC Lariat DRW
2018 Cardinal Luxury Edition 3250 RLX

301TBS
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies and links. The unit we are looking at has a DRY pin of 1200lbs. That may be tight. We will be under our GCWR by 1800lbs loaded.
I guess I am really asking for advise on the towing aspect between the two before I proceed any farther. I also read a lot of comments of steps in 5th wheels, but our tt has 3 steps up already. There are only 2 more steps up to the bedroom on the 5er, and we are still mobile. The bathroom is on the main level.
2019 Springdale 240BH
Reese dual cam

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
301TBS wrote:
Thanks. Please explain the too small tv?

Thing is. For "Most" 5ers. You need more truck than you do for a TT. Biggest thing is the pin weight. Few 5ers are going to have a light enough pin weight for a 150 to carry. Many 5ers have pin weight more than double the tongue weight of a TT. They will quickly put you over the GVWR of a F150.

Long story short. A normal 5th wheel "can" squash your 150.
I'm in the same boat. My 150 can't carry a 5th wheel of any size either. Need more truck.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
TT or 5er? 2007
5er v TT Aug2011
5er v TT Oct2014
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
301TBS wrote:

If you plan on using your F150, your 5th choices will be very few.

Also, TV-tow vehicle and tv-television

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
301TBS wrote:

The pin weight, or weight that will be placed on the hitch in the bed of the truck tends to be a higher percentage of the weight of the trailer, often 20 to 25 percent of the trailers weight where a bumper pull is generally 10 to 15 percent. While your truck may have the power to tow the weight, you also need to make sure it has the cargo, or weight carrying capacity if you will to handle the pin weight.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

301TBS
Explorer
Explorer
2019 Springdale 240BH
Reese dual cam

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Fivers, easier to pull for sure. Backing takes some learning, but can be done. Be carefil not to get into the too small TV argument. Fivers place far more load onto the truck than a trailer does.