cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a manual trans Mini Cooper

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a 2015 Mini Cooper Roadster. I have researched this and although BMW apparently has not ever tested it so can't recommended it, it looks to me as though a car with the 6 speed manual transmission can be towed. Is anyone currently towing one, and if so, what has your experience been. Have you had any problems with towing it???

Thanks,
Ed Headington
15 REPLIES 15

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
The issue leading to transmission failure, manual or automatic, is the lubrication provided when the Engine is running that isn't there when towed. Some early automatics had a "rear pump" which was why we could push an automatic to start the car back in "the day" and no longer can. No rear pump. Similar idea in manual transmissions. If they don't kick lubricant around while towed, manufacturer isn't going to call it "recreational towable."

But some hedge their bets by saying it's OK to tow, but stop every few hours and idle the engine, in Neutral, Clutch engaged. They're figuring enough lube will stay in play at least that long.

So I'd suggest: If you don't disconnect the toad and drive it during an overnight stop, idle it in neutral in the morning before you roll. You're gonna stop for one reason or another every few hours. Idle it again then.

Please understand, I'm saying this about Manual Transmission/Transaxle, not Automatic. If manufacturer says don't tow an automatic, Don't.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Nerak
Explorer
Explorer
Just a follow-up on towing our Mini Cooper Countryman. We got it all set up and flat towed it to Myrtle Beach SC and back with absolutely no problems. Thanks for all the help!

Nerak
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like an excellant plan to me!

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
Great! Thanks for the confirmation!!! Guess you and we are both ready to go as soon as we get our Blue Ox baseplates installed!

Nerak
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, we have checked it. It does not lock. Thanks for checking!

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
Nerak, I am sure that you know about not letting the steering wheel lock when flat towing any car. As far as I can tell, the steering wheel does not lock on our 2015 roadster when I remove the key. Have you noticed this also?????

Ed Headington

Nerak
Explorer
Explorer
Exactly Healeyman! We will be getting our Blue Ox baseplate installed so we can start making our travel plans. We were wondering what convinced your friend that it was okay to tow the mini 4 down. We believe it is true that everything will be fine. We were just wondering what was his convincing factor. I had the epiphany that even with all the naysayers, I have yet to read of anyone towing that was upset about damage! Seems to be more worry than real facts.

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
Nerak wrote:
Healeyman, yes we did contact him and he did respond.

Sorry if I misspoke. I have not talked to him since before the weekend.

I'm glad that you have amassed enough information to make an informed decision.

I tow a Miata and have helped nearly 100 other owners to get their cars flat towable and have also not heard any information about the downside of Miata towing.

That said, there are still naysayers who "warn" newbies asking for information about the imagined risks of flat towing their cars even though no evidence exists.

Go get your Mini set up and start towing. You will like it.

Tim

Nerak
Explorer
Explorer
Healeyman, yes we did contact him and he did respond. That is a big part that convinced us to tow 4 down. But I also gave it thought that I was not hearing any horror stories either about any damage done by towing 4 down. Thanks for putting us in touch with a fellow Mini owner who tows 4 down!

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
Nerak wrote:
We have also been seeking answers about towing our 2013 Mini Countryman 6 speed manual 4 down.

I sent you the contact information for a friend who IS actually flat towing a 2015 Countryman.
He said that you have not contacted him.

I presumed that you didn't really want to know.....

Good luck to ya'.

Tim

Nerak
Explorer
Explorer
We have also been seeking answers about towing our 2013 Mini Countryman 6 speed manual 4 down. All the talk of possible damage almost makes a person paranoid!! I just had a thought ... with all of my research, how come I have not come across any comments of anyone who has done it and actually had damage? I have searched the internet high and low and I haven't seen any yet. Seems if it was such an issue people would be complaining all over the place about their bad experience. We're gonna flat tow!

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the feedback and the good leads.

Ed

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
This couple as been towing one for awhile, not a 2015 though.

http://www.technomadia.com/zephyr/
Linda B.
Our Blog
2009 29' Fleetwood, Fiesta V10 - The Little Bus
2008 Saturn Vue (Toad)with US Gear UBS
& Demco baseplate and tow bar.
FMCA# F412985
Traveling with Robin(friend)& Buddee(cavalier)

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
eheading wrote:
Is anyone currently towing one...

Search the forum for "Cooper". There's lots of them.

Tim