cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tow a rwd car on a tow dolly

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone here towed a rear wheel drive car with the rear wheels on a tow dolly? I have a rear drive that I would like to start towing but it is not rated for four down. I would make it so front wheels would be unable to turn from side to side.

Thanks
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View
13 REPLIES 13

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
Well trailer it is. I'll be pickup an Aluma 7816 tandem axle trailer tomorrow. It is rated for 7000# GVWR. I could not find a base plate to fit the FRS so this made it the answer for me

Thanks for all the replies.
Butch

2021 Winnebago View

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Being a retired powertrain systems engineer for Toyota Motor Manufacturing USA, I can assure you Toyota puts a blanket statement in ALL their owner's manuals that states their vehicles cannot be flat towed behind a motorhome, and have done so for the last several years.

If it is a manual transmission, 2WD, FWD or RWD it can be towed 4down. I do not recommend towing it on a dolly with the rear wheels on the ground since the vehicle will be at enough of an angle as to pool the transmission lubricant toward the rear of the transmission leading to a possible lack of lubricant being splash circulated to the front bearings on the main shaft and auxiliary shaft. It can be towed 4down if you can find a base plate from a quality manufacturer to fit the car.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Butch50 wrote:
It is a 2013 Scion FRS manual, it says it can't be flat towed.
While the Scion is probably great... I would focus on trading or acquiring a vehicle that can be flat towed.
Will save a lot of headaches.

Y-Guy
Both the 2013 & 2013 online owners manuals say "Your vehicle is not designed to be dinghy towed (with 4 wheels on the ground) behind a motor home." So I would check your actual owners manual. Then you know where Toyota stands, if you choose to skip that then you also know your on the hook for any damages. If Ed_Gee is right and others are doing it without issue that's great, just know the facts to make up your mind.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Trailer only option for your Scion!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Take it from a guy who's been in the car business 30+ years -- DO NOT tow a RWD car backwards on a tow dolly.

If you've got to take it with you, use a full trailer.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
If you Google search around on this issue, you'll probably find out that this is a Lawyer created issue, not a technical issue, and that many RVers are successfully flat towing the Scion.... the 2013 FRS included.
PS: the 2014 Flat Tow guide shows it as flat towable.....
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If itโ€™s rwd and it says no towing 4 down then that is due to the trans not being able to handle it (generally from a lubrication standpoint). So your only options are driveshaft disconnect which isnโ€™t viable or trailer it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
From seeing your other post it seems to be a pretty cool little car with very low miles. I suppose you could tow it backwards on a dolly, but two potential problems I see are low ground clearance- smacking the air dam on the ground, etc, and that car might have directional tires that are designed to spin in only one direction. I would trailer a car like that.

That is what I'm thinking. I just didn't want hassle of stowing a trailer at a campground. I have no problem handling a trailer after towing 5ers for years.
Butch

2021 Winnebago View

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
From seeing your other post it seems to be a pretty cool little car with very low miles. I suppose you could tow it backwards on a dolly, but two potential problems I see are low ground clearance- smacking the air dam on the ground, etc, and that car might have directional tires that are designed to spin in only one direction. I would trailer a car like that.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
What is make, model and type of transmission?

It is a 2013 Scion FRS manual, it says it can't be flat towed.
Butch

2021 Winnebago View

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Search here including the archives and you should find related posts.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What is make, model and type of transmission?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker