cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best way to tow with mobility issue

Not applicable
After hip surgeries, can still do most things, but have trouble getting down low. I want to tow using a tow bar rather than trailers, dolly, etc. they seem fairly easy, but which bar setup requires the least effort getting down low? N
SA, Blue ox, Roadmaster..?
3 REPLIES 3

LMHS
Explorer II
Explorer II
I flat tow my Jeep with a Stowmaster 6000. It's one of the ones that a single person can easily hook up. Just get close enough and the bars extend as needed. I don't have to be perfectly aligned or on a perfectly flat surface to hookup. I believe that all the other tow bar companies make a similar type.

I suggest that you find the tow brackets that fit your car and then find the tow bar you need.

While my tow bar is on "hidden" brackets, it is left on the Jeep 24/7. Just easier for me to store it that way.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
The height of the towed vehicle will be a big factor. Towing a Chevy Sonic is much different than towing a Wrangler especially if the Jeep has been lifted. To ease setup take a look at the NSA Ready Brute Elite package that includes tow bar, and inertia brake. This system can been married to a variety of base plates. To complete the brake system you run a cable from the front bumper to the brake pedal. Hooking up is at most a five minute task. Check it out.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
henleyd wrote:
After hip surgeries, can still do most things, but have trouble getting down low. I want to tow using a tow bar rather than trailers, dolly, etc. they seem fairly easy, but which bar setup requires the least effort getting down low? N
SA, Blue ox, Roadmaster..?

I'm slowly recovering from a stroke last spring that affects my walking, balance, and manual dexterity. I still manage to handle our motorhome including hooking up the toad.

I only have to bend at the waist some to hook up our Blue Ox tow bar and cables, but a lot depends on how low or high the base plate installed on the toad connection points are. That varies from model to model toad as well the brand and model of the base plate. The Blue Ox base plate on our RAV4 extends the tow bar connection points through the grill about 20" off the ground. Some other brands bring the connection points out under the front valance, just a few inched off the ground. Whether a Blue Ox setup would be best for your situation would take some serious investigation and comparison on your part. Don't forget a braking system for the toad also. Some take more work to install each time you travel, while others have a one time installation followed by a simple cable, quick disconnect, etc. at hook up time.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate