cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Topper under mattress

scootsk
Explorer III
Explorer III
As always the new Denver premiuim mattress in my new FW sucks. I've used mattress pads in the past but i sweat like a hog. The matress itself is very comfortable but at my larger than normal human size after about half hour my hip is hitting plywood. I was thinking about getting an extra firm topper and putting it under the mattress. Anybody ever do this?
Don, Kathleen
2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.7 CTD/AISIN
2019 Montana 3791 Fifth Wheel
11 REPLIES 11

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might find a memory foam mattress is a better solution. We got an 8" one on sale we came across while away on a camping trip, 8 or so years ago. Shortened it with a bread knife in the CG. Very comfortable and deep-sleep inducing! Dog sure loves it!! ๐Ÿ˜ž

We tried a couple of 2" toppers on our mattress at home and they just didn't last and ended up getting a "real" foam topper mattress.

Only downside is that the thicker memory foam mattresses are a fair bit heavier. I had to relocate the two gas strut mounting locations on the under-bed storage lid so it would stay up. Easy to do tho.

Stevebx
Explorer
Explorer
I put a memory foam mattress topper under my foam mattress in my camper and it has worked out very well. I would caution use of any gel foam pad or topper. I bought a new mattress for home a few years ago and woke up the first night in a sweat and thought I had some fatal illness. Turns out there was a band of gel foam around the middle of the mattress and it did not agree with me. The mattress went back and I will never buy anything with gel foam again.
Steven Brewer

scootsk
Explorer III
Explorer III
craig7h wrote:
Having the same problem. Our old unit we started with the topper on top,then moved it to the bottom and had great success. We have traded units and am having no luck with the topper on top or bottom. I have come to think the mattress plays a bigger part in this than thought.

It took us many months of looking for a mattress for the house just can not think of looking for one for the camper but think its coming to that.

I like this mattress. Itโ€™s pretty comfortable. Itโ€™s just a bit too thin. Iโ€™ve used topper with comfort success but I get way too hot. Never thought of putting it on the bottom until I had the epiphany the other day. I said I must post this question to RVnet
Don, Kathleen
2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.7 CTD/AISIN
2019 Montana 3791 Fifth Wheel

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
Having the same problem. Our old unit we started with the topper on top,then moved it to the bottom and had great success. We have traded units and am having no luck with the topper on top or bottom. I have come to think the mattress plays a bigger part in this than thought.

It took us many months of looking for a mattress for the house just can not think of looking for one for the camper but think its coming to that.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
For not much more $$$ you can just replace the mattress. We tried a topper first then just bought a 12" Zinus foam mattress. Took care if the problem.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The thicker backpacking pads work well but compare prices.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobWNY wrote:
Wouldn't that be a Bottomer? Seriously, those Denver mattresses are almost as bad as the real cheap ones they put in less expensive campers. I think I would just buy a new mattress. What if you spend the money on a topper to put under the mattress and it doesn't solve your problem? Now you've thrown money away. Go to a mattress store, test some out and buy one that meets your needs. BTW, make sure you get the right size! My Denver Premium Mattress in my 5th Wheel was marketed as a King Size but it's actually an "Olympic Queen" (66" X 80") and not readily found. They have to be special ordered usually.

Friend cut mine for only $35.00. Money well spent
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't that be a Bottomer? Seriously, those Denver mattresses are almost as bad as the real cheap ones they put in less expensive campers. I think I would just buy a new mattress. What if you spend the money on a topper to put under the mattress and it doesn't solve your problem? Now you've thrown money away. Go to a mattress store, test some out and buy one that meets your needs. BTW, make sure you get the right size! My Denver Premium Mattress in my 5th Wheel was marketed as a King Size but it's actually an "Olympic Queen" (66" X 80") and not readily found. They have to be special ordered usually.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Interesting thought on putting the topper on the bottom. I guess that would work well as long as you aren't finding the mattress uncomfortable for reasons other than just general thickness.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi scootsk,

I did a topper--which helped with the hip on the wood problem--but exacerbated the sweat problem.

Then I purchased an electric mattress pad (because I do much cold weather travel). I found that it fixed the sweating issues.

Here is how I 'stack' the bed:

mattress-->fitted sheet-->gel topper (thick)-->mattress pad-->fitted sheet-->me-->top sheet-->blanket-->bed spread
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
scootsk wrote:
As always the new Denver premiuim mattress in my new FW sucks. I've used mattress pads in the past but i sweat like a hog. The matress itself is very comfortable but at my larger than normal human size after about half hour my hip is hitting plywood. I was thinking about getting an extra firm topper and putting it under the mattress. Anybody ever do this?

Actually. I had a friend that works at a foam factory cut me a piece of 4" med firm foam. I at first put it on top of the mattress. But that made it too soft. We now have it under the mattress, and it works GREAT.
Just enough cushion.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers