cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Swelling/bubbles on side

jterr
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a used 5th wheel and after getting it home and a good washing, noticed some areas that look like big bubbles/swelling.
have done some reading and it seems it could be something called delamination.
Is this repairable?
Is it something that can be done at home?
What causes this?
31 REPLIES 31

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought an 07 Fleetwood and just the slide has some minor swelling. I was told its expansion, the walls are foam. I camped last week and it got down to the hi 30s and I happen to notice the swelling had almost disappeared. but back home in the mid 70s its back. i'm not going to worry about it and enjoy myself.
Jay D.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
The area above the slide would be a relatively easy fix,(see my first post)the area on the slide is a large area and a big project, all the molding around the slide would have to be removed as well as the outer FG skin to see the condition of the substructure and to let that area dry out. I would probably seal the leaks and just use it as is. If you do a search on here some folks have fixed their side walls like this and you can see what is involved. I fixed both sides of mine when I first bought the MH, the passenger side repair has held to this day the drivers side lasted about 5 years and delaminated again, this side was always parked in the sun.

jrobert01
Explorer
Explorer
It can be fixed DIY see info on you tube if you have time and ability not so hard I did it and will last no problems yet. Just use right glue and follow instructions carefully glue dries quick. Mine was not water damage bad glue.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Before tearing into it consider what else you could possibly do and maybe even use it as is. There is nothing wrong with fixing it if you are into that but it could be a whole can of worms. After looking at several rv's recently and finding nothing but water damage it made me wonder what happens to so many bad rigs. I cant see how most of them are worth fixing unless it diy. It all comes down to the number of years used vs the price paid. I have always been dead set against even considering anything with water damage but now look at it differently. There may be some real values out there if bought cheaply and the leak can be stopped and use it as is, as long as it's not funky inside.

jterr
Explorer
Explorer
As soon as I feel like I can get the top rail off without destroying the rubber top will proceed. Maybe will cal the manufacturer and see if they can tell me how it is put together.
Plus the rain has to stop as I can't get it under the barn...

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
wnjj wrote:
jterr wrote:
A question about the bubble above slide out. Could I drill a small hole in the side to see if there is water in there, and if so make hole bigger to drain??

There likely isn't water in there anymore but swollen, wet wood so drilling probably wouldn't help.

I agree. I would first investigate where roof meets side. Depending on how it's constructed, removing the sealant and corner molding from the outside is where I would start, because I'm guessing water ingress caused the delam. Also, can you observe the inside of the wall for swelling?

If it's not wet but the outer skin is just not glued, then glue it and compress like others have said. If the wall is wet and wood has swelled, let us know and you may get some further suggestions.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
jterr wrote:
A question about the bubble above slide out. Could I drill a small hole in the side to see if there is water in there, and if so make hole bigger to drain??

There likely isn't water in there anymore but swollen, wet wood so drilling probably wouldn't help.

jterr
Explorer
Explorer

jterr
Explorer
Explorer
got it thanks

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
jterr wrote:
How do I see images it says;; * image not shown due to your preference setting *

Suggestions

Go to the top of the page. Click "my forums". Next, click the Preferences tab, under General Preferences check the box to show images in posts.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

jterr
Explorer
Explorer
How do I see images it says;; * image not shown due to your preference setting *

Suggestions

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here ya go:

jterr
Explorer
Explorer
Padlin wrote:
jterr wrote:
phillyg wrote:
Looks like delam caused by water ingress at the roof edges. You're not going to know much till you start pulling it apart. I'd state at the roof edge.

do you see pics??

Nothing here either.

how bout now??

[img][/img][img][/img]

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
jterr wrote:
phillyg wrote:
Looks like delam caused by water ingress at the roof edges. You're not going to know much till you start pulling it apart. I'd state at the roof edge.

do you see pics??

Nothing here either.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA