cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th wheel hitch clunking on stops and starts

skyking897
Explorer
Explorer
I posted earlier about our 5th wheel clunking just as we stopped and again when starting. Got some good advice here and found play between the hitch and rails as so many said it would be. I bought the Curt 5th wheel rail dampeners but could only get the two front ones in (light tap with a screwdriver handle on pins). The rear ones had less play and I could not get the pins installed with the shims in place. The noise is diminished considerably but I'd like to put shims in the rear also. I looked on line but all I can find are shims of the same thickness (.094" I believe). Does anyone make thinner shims or am I better off just making some?
5 REPLIES 5

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I believe I replied to your post regarding the Curt dampers. It is nice to see some feedback. Initially when I installed my hitch with the gaskets I had to drive the pins in with a dead blow hammer to compress the rubber. This season they went in a lot easier. I will need to replace them next year.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a cheap bicycle inner tube for $4.00 and cut some pcs to go under the hitch.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your trailer brakes are not braking as much as they should. When properly set, the brakes will hold the trailer to the rear of the hitch, thus not allowing the pin to move in the hitch. All hitches have play in them, if allowed to move very much or often, it will damage the pin and the hitch.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

skyking897
Explorer
Explorer
No they don't too hard to duplicate at all. My concern was what to make them out of if I did make them. I have lots of different thickness aluminium but I think that would be too soft but if you used tin maybe it will be ok.

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Imade some out of tin shingles. Not hard to make if you have some tin snips.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition